PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which

PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which

Post by Tatsuo Ish » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:30:13

Quote:> >> ... I wonder whether this is an inbuilt,
> >> unavoidable problem with free software projects once they reach a certain
> >> level of popularity.

> > Funny you should mention PHP.  I talked to Rasmus about the email volume
> > when I first met him in the fall.  He said the volume of email is so
> > great that just reading the subject lines takes a long time.

> > We aren't there yet, but we are heading in that direction.

> Yes, the shape of the curve is pretty clear --- it's already not
> possible for the key developers to respond to everything, and that'll
> get worse.  We have to start thinking about ways to spread out the load
> better.

One idea is encouraging people to make local mailing lists all over
the world. That will be easier to read/write mails for non-English
speakers and will decrease the traffic in the main mailing
list. Actually I have been running a mailing list in Japan for years
and now it has +4000 subscribers. I believe this kind of thing has
been already done in the world (maybe Japan, Russia ...?), but I think
we should encourage them more, like having pointers to such lists on
the pgsql web site.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

1. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should

We will get those folks someday.  Right now, they are down in
MySQL-land, but they could come soon.  In the old days, Linux served
that purpose, and BSD sat more in the experienced camp.

The big question is whether we can provide resources for those new
people so they can get started without flooding the mail lists.  I
actually find that IRC is a good avenue for them because they can
interact with people and get clarifications that are hard to do in
email.  And, our IRC channel is getting huge.  We have 23 people on the
IRC channel right now, and one sarcasm-bot who I am growing fond of.  :-)

I think there is no decrease because people are getting answers
off-list, and saving the good ones for us.  In fact, I think the most
frequently asked questions are about bugs in previous releases that we
already have fixed in current, and we need to give them workarounds.

--
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us

  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

2. ODBC Access to .mdb

3. Amazing: rs.filter shows no records where WHERE clause bring plenty

4. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which sh

5. ADO Connection Error

6. Oracle vs PostgreSQL vs MySQL vs mSQL : COMPARISON

7. Maximum number of user connections to SQL Server

8. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should I use?

9. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which sh ould I use?

10. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should I use?

11. Oracle vs MySQL vs PostgreSQL

12. MySQL vs Oracle vs MSSQL Vs others