pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq Makefile

pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq Makefile

Post by Bruce Momjian - C » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:21:49

CVSROOT:        /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql-server

Modified files:
        src/interfaces/libpq: Makefile

Log message:
        Add dirmod to libpq Makefile.

http://archives.postgresql.org

pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq Makefile

Post by Tom La » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:55:05

Quote:> Modified files:
>    src/interfaces/libpq: Makefile
> Log message:
>    Add dirmod to libpq Makefile.

Why?  libpq doesn't use rename, and I don't think it should be using
unlink (someone *please* tell me that that unlink in getaddrinfo_unix
is a brain-dead error...)

                        regards, tom lane

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Post by Bruce Momji » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:26:29

> > Modified files:
> >       src/interfaces/libpq: Makefile

> > Log message:
> >       Add dirmod to libpq Makefile.

> Why?  libpq doesn't use rename, and I don't think it should be using

Also, keep in mind that it will effect other clients who do use
rename/unlink.  The question is whether they assume Unix semantics on
those commands.  I don't know the answer, but I assumed they did.

Quote:> unlink (someone *please* tell me that that unlink in getaddrinfo_unix
> is a brain-dead error...)

Not sure --- that's why I added it.

--
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us

  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

Post by Tom La » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:39:41

>> Why?  libpq doesn't use rename, and I don't think it should be using
> Also, keep in mind that it will effect other clients who do use
> rename/unlink.  The question is whether they assume Unix semantics on
> those commands.  I don't know the answer, but I assumed they did.

I don't believe any of our standard clients care, and in any case libpq
is not the place to put it if they do.

Quote:>> unlink (someone *please* tell me that that unlink in getaddrinfo_unix
>> is a brain-dead error...)
> Not sure --- that's why I added it.

Even if it's correct (which I doubt) it's inside #ifdef
HAVE_UNIX_SOCKETS and therefore irrelevant to Windows.

                        regards, tom lane

Post by Tom La » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:49:54

>> unlink (someone *please* tell me that that unlink in getaddrinfo_unix
>> is a brain-dead error...)
> Not sure --- that's why I added it.

After further research I conclude it is at best unnecessary and at worst
dangerous.  It is unnecessary because Lock_AF_UNIX() will alreay have
unlink'ed any pre-existing socket file in the postmaster-startup case.
It is dangerous because there is no reason that anyone would expect
getaddrinfo() to have destructive side-effects.  Certainly the
discussion of the AI_PASSIVE flag in the Linux manpage for getaddrinfo
doesn't suggest any such thing.

I'm going to remove it.

                        regards, tom lane

http://archives.postgresql.org

pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq Makefile

Post by Bruce Momjian - C » Thu, 24 Apr 2003 04:42:41

CVSROOT:        /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql-server

Modified files:
        src/interfaces/libpq: Makefile

Log message:
        Remove Win32 special rename/unlink from libpq.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

1. pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq Makefile

CVSROOT:        /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql-server

Modified files:
        src/interfaces/libpq: Makefile

Log message:
        path.c needs to be included in libpq; per Joe Conway.

2. Weekly number of trades

3. database names vs. database schemas

4. Extents overlap

5. pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq fe-connect.c

6. Accessing MS SQLServer from WordPerfect v6.1 macros

7. pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq pqsignal.c

8. pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq fe-connect.c

9. pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq fe-auth.c

10. pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq fe-connect.c