Strange PG error

Post by Dr. Evi » Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:09:56

I was trying to write a function which does a DES encryption for
Postgres, which I would then link in as a C function.  I got the
function more or less working on its own, and then I tried to link it
to PG.  The first time I executed the function, the backend died.
Then, I removed the Unix domain socket, and made sure that no
postmasters were running, and tried to restart PG, and I got this
error:

Quote:> pg_ctl -D /home/data start

pg_ctl: It seems another postmaster is running. Try to start
postmaster anyway.
pg_ctl: Cannot start postmaster. Is another postmaster is running?
Quote:> IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget failed (No space left on device)

key=5432015, num=16, permission=600
This type of error is usually caused by an improper
shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
FATAL 1:  InitProcGlobal: IpcSemaphoreCreate failed

Any tips on this?  I checked all the processes, and definitely, no
postmaster is running, no psql clients are running, no apache is
running, nothing, and yet PG won't restart.  How do I get it to
restart?

Also, I need some help on this function writing.  More questions
later...

Thanks

Strange PG error

Post by Dr. Evi » Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:30:11

I answered my own question:

Under OpenBSD, use ipcs to see all the active shared memory and
semaphores, and then use ipcrm -m and ipcrm -s to remove shared memory
and semaphores which are allocated.  After I cleared out all the
semaphores and shared mem associated with Postgres, it then restarted
just fine.

Strange PG error

Post by Austin Powe » Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:35:19

Quote:Dr. Evil writes:
> > pg_ctl -D /home/data start
> pg_ctl: It seems another postmaster is running. Try to start
> postmaster anyway.
> pg_ctl: Cannot start postmaster. Is another postmaster is running?
> > IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget failed (No space left on device)

Did you remove the postmaster.pid file in the data directory?

Quote:> key=5432015, num=16, permission=600
> This type of error is usually caused by an improper
> shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
> For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
> FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
> web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
> FATAL 1:  InitProcGlobal: IpcSemaphoreCreate failed

Run ipcclean, or a combinationof ipcs and ipcrm to remove the left over
shared memory and/or semaphore segments.

Strange PG error

Post by Mini- » Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:45:29

Is this worth mentioning on the techdocs site?

;-)

+ Mini Me

> Dr. Evil writes:

> > > pg_ctl -D /home/data start
> > pg_ctl: It seems another postmaster is running. Try to start
> > postmaster anyway.
> > pg_ctl: Cannot start postmaster. Is another postmaster is running?
> > > IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget failed (No space left on device)

> Did you remove the postmaster.pid file in the data directory?

> > key=5432015, num=16, permission=600
> > This type of error is usually caused by an improper
> > shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
> > For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
> > FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
> > web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
> > FATAL 1:  InitProcGlobal: IpcSemaphoreCreate failed

> Run ipcclean, or a combinationof ipcs and ipcrm to remove the left over
> shared memory and/or semaphore segments.

     - Indira Gandhi

1. Building perl mods pg:PG or DBD:PG on non

You might try a binary that's already been compiled for Windows NT:
http://www.edmund-mergl.de/export/DBD-Pg.zip
It's a little old, but might work. I would assume it has the postgresql
libraries compiled into it.

Hope this helps,

Wes Sheldahl

cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)
Subject:  [GENERAL] Building perl mods pg:PG or DBD:PG on non-PostgreSQLable
      machines

I recently asked about adding DBD:PG to Novell and got the reply that it should
be possible since novell supports DBI.

However, Since I cannot install / build PostgreSQL on a novell machine I do not
satisfy the requirments for building DMD:Pg.

How can I add either of the mentioned perl modules to a machine that does not
have the postgresql libraries?

I have the libraries built on a linux/x86 box. Can I just copy them to the
novell server( I 99.99999% sure the answer to this question is no)?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff Post

PostgreSQL support I would appreciate it!

http://archives.postgresql.org

http://archives.postgresql.org

2. Why OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' doesn't support distributed transactions?

3. Building perl mods pg:PG or DBD:PG on non-PostgreSQLable machines

4. TreeView with columns

5. Strange WebForms error, strange Oracle answer - baffled!

6. Foreign Keys Updating

7. Installing DBD::Pg module without Pg Database server

8. Table full error...

9. DBD::Pg vs Pg.pm

10. pgsql/src/interfaces/perl5 Pg.pm Pg.xs

11. Multiple PG Installations with DBD::Pg?