consistent naming of components

Post by Lincoln Ye » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:17:11

Personally I see very little gain for lots of work and problems.

But whatever is decided it'll be ok for me if I can still tell a postmaster
on the command line where its base directory or global configuration file
is and it finds everything else from there.

Apache is almost there, need to edit the apachectl and init scripts and
that's about it.

The supplied Postgresql initstyle script kills all postmasters though :(.

Cheerio,
Link.

>Hi all!

>I wanted to propose a possible "rationalization" of the PostgreSQL naming
>scheme, as briefly outlined below. The following suggestion may seem like a
>trivial improvement to some, but to me it is a matter of polish and
>consistency.

>One possible renaming / reorganization: (feedback encouraged!!!)

>change default account name postgres to pgsql
>change daemon name postmaster to pgsqld
>change client name psql to pgsql
>change data location /var/lib/pgsql/data to /var/pgsql
>move .conf files from /var/lib/pgsql/data to /etc/pgsql
>change all PG_xxx file names (PG_VERSION, /usr/bin/pg_xxx, etc) to pgsql_xxx
>change all postgresql* file names to pgsql*
>whatever else I have missed...:)

>I think this would be a very worthwhile improvement, but I don't know how
>others feel about this. It should make it easier for newbies to learn their
>way around and generally reduce confusion.

>Going a bit further in reorganization, if the config files always lived in
>an /etc/pgsql directory, then pgsqld (aka postmaster) could start with zero
>parameters and zero environment variables (true?), since it could get PGDATA
>and PGLIB type data, plus log file location, from the config files. This
>should simplify the init scripts as well, and generally make setup easier.
>Eventually, other environment variables (like the one passed to CREATE
>DATABASE name WITH
>LOCATION = 'location' where location is an environment variable) could be
>eliminated, so that all configuration information lived in /etc/pgsql conf
>files.

>I am a Unix/Linux novice, but this seems to make sense to me. What does
>everyone think?

>Rob

>PS Please forgive me in advance if this is not the correct mailing list to
>propose this on.

1. Extract name/address components from a single field

Do you have legacy or free format name and address based data like this?

CAPTAIN DJ LYON-DAVIS
Mr JD Macnay
ESTATE OF THE LATE SIR CE SMITH IV

12/3-5 AUBREY ST VERMONT VIC 3133
"OLD REGRET" WENTWORTH FALLS NSW 2782 AUSTRALIA
GPO Box K318, HAYMARKET, NSW 2001

Do you want to extract it's components such as
- title, given name initial, surname, suffix
- number, street, suburb, post code, country

Check out our online demo now
http://www.data-distillers.com/dd_demo.html
http://www.data-distillers.com/index.htm

2. How to shutdown and re-start a database remotely?

3. Fully Qualified Name Components

4. Accessing DBMSs via CORBA: request for comments

5. Extract components of free format name/address data

6. SQL Server VS Oracle

7. UpDown Component with TDBEdit component

8. Component Authors: We want your components!

9. Component Checker - Remove Data Access Components

10. consistent screen design

11. Consistent pg_dump's

12. Consistent Fault in Jet DLL