Problem starting postmaster at startup

Post by scott.marlow » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:09:50

Try to see if you've postmaster.pid in the $PGDATA directory.

My guess is that the postmaster didn't make it all the way to shutdown
once, and the system kill -9'd it as the last step for shutting down, so
the .pid file is still there.

Just delete it and your database should start right up.

> My postgresql database has been starting up automatically at boot time for 4
> weeks until this week.  No messages in the logfile why it doesn't start.  I
> am running version 7.2.3 in SuSE Linux 7.0 (s390).  I did the build of
> postgres on this system.

> I had this difficulty when I first installed.  I tried using the startup
> script from the contrib directory without any luck.  I put it in the
> /etc/rc.d directory and created a symbolic link to it in the rc.2 directory
> for starting.  The script works fine if I run it but wouldn't at startup.
> So I created my own in the same directory.

> #! /bin/sh
> case $1 in
>   start)
>     su -c '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -l
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/logfile -D /usr/local/pgsql/data' postgres
>     ;;
>   stop)
>     su -c '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl stop -D /usr/local/pgsql/data'
> postgres
>     ;;
> esac

> exit 0

> This has been working fine for 4 weeks.  Now, all I get at startup is the
> message "postmaster successfully started" but I cannot find postmaster
> running anywhere in the system.  I know pg_ctl is executing because of the
> message but postmaster is not logging anything at all.

> I know a little about *nix but not anything about the startup process.  Any
> help would be appreciated.

> Patrick Bye
> Programmer / Analyst
> Westfair Foods Ltd.

> (403) 291-6538

1. Problem starting postmaster at startup

Unfortunately, that message is meaningless.  The pg_ctl script runs the
postmaster in the background, and will not notice if it fails, as it
obviously has.

Try starting the postmaster directly and see what happens.

--

Isle of Wight, UK                             http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
GPG: 1024D/3E1D0C1C: CA12 09E0 E8D5 8870 5839  932A 614D 4C34 3E1D 0C1C

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

2. Access Database connect problem

3. problem starting postgresql i.e postmaster

4. Guidance for Oracle Cartridge

5. Problem starting postmaster

6. searching Beta-Testers for Personal OLAP Product

7. Postmaster re-start problem

8. Wired problem with Views !!

9. win2000: problems starting postmaster

10. Problem with starting my db with Postmaster

11. Problems starting postmaster with maxconnections changed

12. problem starting the server postmaster

13. Problem with starting my db with Postmaster