psql on red hat 7.1

Post by newsrea.. » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 07:12:56

After upgrading to red hat 7.1
I can no longer use arrow keys to browse
the psql history

The file  .psql_history  is my home
directory.

Can someone help me?

I am using 7.1.2

Thanks

psql on red hat 7.1

Post by Trond Eivind Glomsr » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 07:50:34

> After upgrading to red hat 7.1
> I can no longer use arrow keys to browse
> the psql history

> The file  .psql_history  is my home
> directory.

> Can someone help me?

> I am using 7.1.2

RHL 7.1 shipped with postgresql 7.0 - is this one of the official
rpms, or did you compile it yourself?

--
Trond Eivind Glomsr?d
Red Hat, Inc.

psql on red hat 7.1

Post by Justin Cli » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:48:15

Hi,

I'm guessing that you've compiled your own version of PostgreSQL 7.1.2.

The symptoms you mention are what happens when PostgreSQL is compiled
without the "readline" library(ies).  Normally the PostgreSQL
"configure" program finds this if it's on your system, but I'm thinking
that perhaps you don't have it installed or the "configure" program
didn't find it for some reason.

You should probably compile PostgreSQL again, making sure that it can
find the readline library(ies).  This will give you a psql command line
history, etc.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> After upgrading to red hat 7.1
> I can no longer use arrow keys to browse
> the psql history

> The file  .psql_history  is my home
> directory.

> Can someone help me?

> I am using 7.1.2

> Thanks

psql on red hat 7.1

Post by newsrea.. » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:07:46

> Hi,

> I'm guessing that you've compiled your own version of PostgreSQL 7.1.2.

> The symptoms you mention are what happens when PostgreSQL is compiled
> without the "readline" library(ies).  Normally the PostgreSQL
> "configure" program finds this if it's on your system, but I'm thinking
> that perhaps you don't have it installed or the "configure" program
> didn't find it for some reason.

I compiled 7.1.2 myself

I now see that configure does not
find readline even though it is
installed

How should I tell configure
where to find it?

Thanks

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

psql on red hat 7.1

Post by Tom La » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:02:11

> The symptoms you mention are what happens when PostgreSQL is compiled
> without the "readline" library(ies).  Normally the PostgreSQL
> "configure" program finds this if it's on your system, but I'm thinking
> that perhaps you don't have it installed or the "configure" program
> didn't find it for some reason.

Note that you need to have both the library itself and its header files.
If you installed 'em from RPMs that means you need both readline and
readline-devel RPMs.  Otherwise configure will decide you haven't got
readline installed...

                        regards, tom lane

psql on red hat 7.1

Post by Justin Cli » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:39:18

Hi again,

You're probably best to look through the mailing list archives for the
best ways people have found for doing this.  There have been a few
people with similar problems over time.  :-)

If you don't find anything there, feel free to ask again.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> > Hi,

> > I'm guessing that you've compiled your own version of PostgreSQL 7.1.2.

> > The symptoms you mention are what happens when PostgreSQL is compiled
> > without the "readline" library(ies).  Normally the PostgreSQL
> > "configure" program finds this if it's on your system, but I'm thinking
> > that perhaps you don't have it installed or the "configure" program
> > didn't find it for some reason.

> I compiled 7.1.2 myself

> I now see that configure does not
> find readline even though it is
> installed

> How should I tell configure
> where to find it?

> Thanks

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

psql on red hat 7.1

Post by Scott W. Hil » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 04:15:07

I have the same problem on Mac OS X. Has anyone gotten readline support
to work with OS X?

--Scott

>> The symptoms you mention are what happens when PostgreSQL is compiled
>> without the "readline" library(ies).  Normally the PostgreSQL
>> "configure" program finds this if it's on your system, but I'm thinking
>> that perhaps you don't have it installed or the "configure" program
>> didn't find it for some reason.

> Note that you need to have both the library itself and its header files.
> If you installed 'em from RPMs that means you need both readline and
> readline-devel RPMs.  Otherwise configure will decide you haven't got
> readline installed...

>                    regards, tom lane

Scott W. Hill
VeriSign Payment Services

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

1. DB2 HOWTO for Linux updated: running Java apps with 1.1.8 on Red Hat 7.1

The DB2 HOWTO for Linux (http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DB2-HOWTO) was
updated today. The primary reason for the update was to answer the
following FAQ:

Q: I followed the instructions for installing IBM Developer Kit for Java
1.1.8 but Java applications, including the DB2 Control Center, don't
work.

A: Red Hat 7.1 enabled a floating point stack feature in the glibc
library that breaks the IBM Developer Kit for Java 1.1.8. Other
distributions might follow their lead.

The solution is to set the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL environment variable to
2.2.5 before running the DB2 Control Center or your Java application:

bash$ export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

Dan

--
Dan Scott
daniels at ca dot ibm dot com

2. Delete table w/Byte fields

3. Oracle 8.1.6 on Red Hat 7.1

4. PowerBuilder 5 with Informix 7.13

5. DB2 UDB 7.1 on Red Hat 6.2 - db2cc won't start

6. Rescueing an 8i database?

7. installing oracle 9i on a Red Hat 7.1 with 2.4.4

8. row cannot be located for updating

9. oias 8i installation on red hat linux 7.1

10. isql cannot connect to ASE 12.5 on Red Hat 7.1

11. I wanna know how to setup mysql in red hat 7.1

12. install problem: Oracle9i on Red Hat 7.1