Solaris 7 SPARC passes tests (was Re: Re: [BUGS] Tests randomly failed)

Post by Mathijs Bran » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:56:32

> > What become up 'set maxuprc=256'?  I thought that made it work.  Could
> > other people try it or has it been disproven?

> I'm giving this a test now...

No luck :( Tests still randomly crash. (This is an Ultra 10 machine.)

7.1RC1 on Solaris 7 SPARC does pass the regression tests (apart from the
random test, which seems to be ignored on Solaris). (This is an Ultra
420 machine.)

Cheers,

Mathijs
--
It's not that perl programmers are idiots, it's that the language
rewards idiotic behavior in a way that no other language or tool has

Post by Tom La » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:09:15

> No luck :( Tests still randomly crash. (This is an Ultra 10 machine.)

How about if you change the pg_regress script to use TCP connections?
(Look for the bit that forces unix_sockets=no for certain OSes, and
add solaris)

                        regards, tom lane

Solaris 7 SPARC passes tests (was Re: Re: [BUGS] Tests randomly failed)

Post by Rick Robi » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:54:44

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

> > No luck :( Tests still randomly crash. (This is an Ultra 10 machine.)

> How about if you change the pg_regress script to use TCP connections?
> (Look for the bit that forces unix_sockets=no for certain OSes, and
> add solaris)

>                    regards, tom lane

Someone ran into this again yesterday with Solaris x86. The unix
socket problem is probably the same for both architectures, so why
not change pg_regress.sh to include *solaris* as part of the same
case statement that excludes QNX and BeOS for unix sockets? It is
safe to say that Solaris does have this problem.

The postmaster startup test could say something a bit more useful
this way too, as a standard "make check" does not report which type
of sockets are being used (but it does when --temp-install="").
Some folks may want that to be recorded in the output consistently.

A very small patch to do both of those things is attached.

Cheers,

-Rick

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

*** pg_regress.sh       Wed Mar 28 02:46:50 2001
--- pg_regress.sh~      Wed Mar 28 02:46:38 2001
***************
*** 156,166 ****

  # ----------
! # When on QNX or BeOS, don't use Unix sockets.
  # ----------

  case $host_platform in
!     *-*-qnx* | *beos*)
          unix_sockets=no;;
      *)
          unix_sockets=yes;;
--- 156,166 ----

  # ----------
! # When on QNX, BeOS, or Solaris, don't use Unix sockets.
  # ----------

  case $host_platform in
!     *-*-qnx* | *beos* | *solaris* )
          unix_sockets=no;;
      *)
          unix_sockets=yes;;
***************
*** 354,359 ****
--- 354,364 ----
      if kill -0 $postmaster_pid >/dev/null 2>&1
      then
          echo "running on port $PGPORT with pid $postmaster_pid"
+         if [ -n "$PGHOST" ]; then
+             echo "(using postmaster on Inet socket)"
+         else
+             echo "(using postmaster on Unix socket)"
+         fi
      else
          echo
          echo "$me: postmaster did not start"