front ends for postgres under linux

Post by Pengu » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:39:17

Hi,

We have recently shifted our SCO Unix server to Red Hat Linux 6.2 server.
Currently we are running all our SCO applications like Financial
Accounting, PF Accounting, Payroll etc. using ibcs module of Linux.
The applications on SCO were developed using Integra RDBMS.

Now we want to start developing and slowly converting those applications
on Linux platform. For that we have selected Postgresql as the Database.
However we are finding it difficult to decide about the front-ends.

The main problems while choosing the front-ends we encounter is the data
entry part of Master-Detail transactions such as Invoice Entry / Voucher
Entry where there might be variable amount of entries. We thought of
developing under PHP4. But the problem which I have mentioned seems to
remain if we use PHP4.

I wanted to know what the listers are using as front-ends on Linux
platform. Is using PHP4 good enough for developing financial accounting
& inventory applications.

Awaiting to hear your experiences front-ends for Postgers.

Thanks in advance.

--
Rajesh Fowkar
V. S. DEMPO & CO. LTD., PANAJI-GOA

Web Site : http://www.dempos.com

Post by Michael Mesk » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:55:35

> Accounting, PF Accounting, Payroll etc. using ibcs module of Linux.

[OT] Are you still running kernel 2.0.* or is there a newer ibcs out there?

Quote:> Now we want to start developing and slowly converting those applications
> on Linux platform. For that we have selected Postgresql as the Database.
> However we are finding it difficult to decide about the front-ends.
> I wanted to know what the listers are using as front-ends on Linux
> platform. Is using PHP4 good enough for developing financial accounting
> & inventory applications.

I'm not sure about php4 but there is one out there using perl-dbd. Are your
apps web based?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes

Go SF 49ers! Go Rhein Fire!
Use Debian GNU/Linux! Use PostgreSQL!

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

front ends for postgres under linux

Post by Richard Huxto » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:42:49

Quote:> The main problems while choosing the front-ends we encounter is the data
> entry part of Master-Detail transactions such as Invoice Entry / Voucher
> Entry where there might be variable amount of entries. We thought of
> developing under PHP4. But the problem which I have mentioned seems to
> remain if we use PHP4.

> I wanted to know what the listers are using as front-ends on Linux
> platform. Is using PHP4 good enough for developing financial accounting
> & inventory applications.

PHP is fine for building web interfaces, but the web isn't ideal for this.
If you want to do data-entry, consider an interactive interface (if you
really want the web use java applets/activex or com or .net or whatever MS
is calling OLE at the moment).

I found myself looking at a terminal-based interface for something the other
day. Plenty of libraries available and no shortage of free ssh/telnet
clients. Data-entry people I've worked with in the past seem to prefer
text+keyboard interfaces after a week or so - half as many keystrokes/clicks
vs windowed interfaces (in my experience).

I'd consider both interfaces - PHP will be great for selecting reports /
viewing statistics etc. Provide a terminal-based solution as well and let
the end-users gravitate to the interface they need per task.

- Richard Huxton

Post by Pengu » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:00:34

>> Accounting, PF Accounting, Payroll etc. using ibcs module of Linux.

>[OT] Are you still running kernel 2.0.* or is there a newer ibcs out there?

Yeh. We are running Red Hat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.14 ( default kernel on Red
hat 6.2 ). No idea if there is ibcs module for kernel 2.4.x.

Quote:

>> Now we want to start developing and slowly converting those applications
>> on Linux platform. For that we have selected Postgresql as the Database.
>> However we are finding it difficult to decide about the front-ends.
>> I wanted to know what the listers are using as front-ends on Linux
>> platform. Is using PHP4 good enough for developing financial accounting
>> & inventory applications.

>I'm not sure about php4 but there is one out there using perl-dbd. Are your
>apps web based?

No. Our applications are not web based. Those are commercial applications
like Financial Accounting, Inventory, Payroll etc. etc. and to be used
in-house. Web does not come into picture here.

Thanks for your response.

Warm Regards

--
Rajesh Fowkar