PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which sh

Post by Michael Ansl » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 18:39:14

------_=_NextPart_001_01C097FC.89BB698C

I also think that a documentation system like PHP uses, where users can add
to the docs online would be a REALLY useful addition, and probably help the
mailing lists in the level of mail that was distributed.

MikeA

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Sawtell
To: Frank Joerdens; Mitch Vincent

Cc: pgsql-gene...@postgresql.org
Sent: 2-16-01 9:25 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which
should I use?

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:12, Frank Joerdens wrote:

> > Helpful developers doesn't go near far enough..

> > I've seen (and still do see) commercial support that isn't up to the
> > grade of support I have gotten from the -general and -hackers lists.
> > can ask any question and I *always* get a response within minutes
from
> > one of the core developers.. I have yet to have a question go
> > un-answered and I've been on the list for a pretty long time! It
just
> > doesn't get much better than that to me.

> I agree. The support from the Postgres people is outstanding. There
> seems to be a catch though. It was pretty much the same with PHP about
3
> years ago: I story I keep telling is that my very first question on
the
> list there was answered in less than 30 minutes by Rasmus Lerdorf, the
> inventor of PHP himself (imagine posting a question to M$ and within
30
> mins, the founder of the company . . . ). He's still very active on
the
> list but the sheer volume of postings has reached a limit, due to the
> popularity and success of PHP, where a _lot_ is getting lost and
> unanswered in php-general. I wonder whether this is an inbuilt,
> unavoidable problem with free software projects once they reach a
> certain level of popularity.

Yes it is.

This is a universal problem. It is that once a particular package
reaches
that critical mass it is completely impossible for a small team of
developers to both help the user community _and_ to develop anything at
all. I've seen this in both the free and the comercial software worlds.

The  commercial world tries to solve it by having "Knowledge Base"
machinery of some kind or another. My own exp. is that it simply does
not
work.

It might help to install ht://dig so that the online documentation can
be
searched easily. If people think that that would be a good idea then I'd

be happy to make that contribution.

Another point is that PostgreSQL is widely used by people who have
learnt
English at school. English is a proper horror of a language & it must be

extremely difficult to understand the docs. if you didn't learn English
on
your Mother's knee. I learnt French at school, but I would really _hate_

to have to understand PostgreSQL from French docs. I'm suggesting that
now
that the critical mass of users is nearly upon us that a serious
translation effort be made. Unfortunately I am not sufficiently able in
any foreign language to help with translation, but could perhaps attempt

to make the language of the documentation somewhat easier to understand.

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME       Christopher Sawtell
 CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
 ICQ UIN    45863470
 EMAIL      csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
 CNOTES
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

 -->> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to
me
<<--

Nick West - Global Infrastructure Manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C097FC.89BB698C

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>RE: [GENERAL] Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which shoul=
d I use?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I also think that a documentation system like PHP uses, w=
here users can add to the docs online would be a REALLY useful addition, an=
d probably help the mailing lists in the level of mail that was distributed=
. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>MikeA</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Christopher Sawtell</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: Frank Joerdens; Mitch Vincent</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Cc: pgsql-gene...@postgresql.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: 2-16-01 9:25 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 v=
s MySQL - Which should I use?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:12, Frank Joerdens wrote:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; Helpful developers doesn't go near far enough..=
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; I've seen (and still do see) commercial suppor=
t that isn't up to the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; grade of support I have gotten from the -gener=
al and -hackers lists.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; can ask any question and I *always* get a resp=
onse within minutes</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>from</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; one of the core developers.. I have yet to hav=
e a question go</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; un-answered and I've been on the list for a pr=
etty long time! It</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>just</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; doesn't get much better than that to me.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I agree. The support from the Postgres people is ou=
tstanding. There</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; seems to be a catch though. It was pretty much the =
same with PHP about</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>3</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; years ago: I story I keep telling is that my very f=
irst question on</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; list there was answered in less than 30 minutes by =
Rasmus Lerdorf, the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; inventor of PHP himself (imagine posting a question=
 to M$ and within</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>30</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; mins, the founder of the company . . . ). He's stil=
l very active on</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; list but the sheer volume of postings has reached a=
 limit, due to the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; popularity and success of PHP, where a _lot_ is get=
ting lost and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; unanswered in php-general. I wonder whether this is=
 an inbuilt,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; unavoidable problem with free software projects onc=
e they reach a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; certain level of popularity.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Yes it is.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>This is a universal problem. It is that once a particular=
 package</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>reaches </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>that critical mass it is completely impossible for a sma=
ll team of </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>developers to both help the user community _and_ to deve=
lop anything at </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>all. I've seen this in both the free and the comercial s=
oftware worlds.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The&nbsp; commercial world tries to solve it by having &q=
uot;Knowledge Base&quot; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>machinery of some kind or another. My own exp. is that i=
t simply does</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>not </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>work.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It might help to install ht://dig so that the online docu=
mentation can</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>be </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>searched easily. If people think that that would be a go=
od idea then I'd</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>be happy to make that contribution.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Another point is that PostgreSQL is widely used by people=
 who have</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>learnt </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>English at school. English is a proper horror of a langu=
age &amp; it must be</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>extremely difficult to understand the docs. if you didn't=
 learn English</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>on </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>your Mother's knee. I learnt French at school, but I wou=
ld really _hate_</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>to have to understand PostgreSQL from French docs. I'm su=
ggesting that</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>now </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>that the critical mass of users is nearly upon us that a=
 serious </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>translation effort be made. Unfortunately I am not suffi=
ciently able in </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>any foreign language to help with translation, but could=
 perhaps attempt</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>to make the language of the documentation somewhat easier=
 to understand.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sincerely etc.,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;NAME&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Christophe=
r Sawtell</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;CELL PHONE 021 257 4451</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;ICQ UIN&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 45863470</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;EMAIL&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; csawtell @ xtr=
a . co . nz</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;CNOTES</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A HREF=3D"ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/=
sawtell_C.tar.gz" TARGET=3D"_blank">ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tuto=
rials/sawtell_C.tar.gz</A></FONT>
</P>

read more »

PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which sh

Post by Michael Ansl » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:23:08

------_=_NextPart_001_01C09834.896025F8

Is the code for the php manual site available, and configurable?