PostgreSQL on Windows or MS-SQLServer???

PostgreSQL on Windows or MS-SQLServer???

Post by Philip Hallstr » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:45:54

Hi all -
        We're developing a product that currently runs on freebsd, apache,
php, postgresql.  I've been asked to look into what it would take to port
this product to Windows.  Yes, I know all the reasons why we don't want to
do that and we're not planning on it, but if a client really wants it and
wants to pay for it, well, then we'll do it.

I've searched the lists and found a lot of "how do I install" postgres on
windows, but I haven't seen a lot of "how well does it work" posts.

Anyone care to comment on how well postgres on windows works (assuming
w2k)?

Would you recommend postgres on windows for a production environment?

Is it stable (as stable as Windows can be that is :)?

And if the above answers tend to be "no", can anyone give me a rough idea
of the pain involved in converting to MS-SQLServer?  We use a lot of
triggers, keys, joins, stored procedures.  I know I won't get specifics,
but just trying to get a general idea.

Thanks!

-philip

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

PostgreSQL on Windows or MS-SQLServer???

Post by Command Prompt, Inc » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 05:09:29

The use of PostgreSQL on windows requires the use of Cygwin.
The performance of PostgreSQL under any noticable load on Cygwin/Win32 is
horrendous.

http://www.postgresql.info/
http://www.commandprompt.com/