Disabling triggers (was Re: pgsql 7.2.3 crash)

Post by Kevin Bro » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:58:10

> The second case is usually something like an insert into the employee table
> fires off an email to IT to create a login and security to make a badge.
> Commonly we turn off workflows (by disabling their related triggers) in our
> development and test databases so someone doesn't disable the CEO's login
> when we fire him as part of our testing! I think in this scenario it is
> better to be able to disable the trigger globally ;-)

I think in this scenario it's probably better to not fire the CEO,
gratifying as it may be!  :-)

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

1. Disabling triggers (was Re: pgsql 7.2.3 crash)

That's my leaning too, after further reflection.  Will make it so.

Unless I missed it, it's not in current sources.

I was wondering whether an ALTER TABLE command is really the right way
to approach this.  If we had an ALTER-type command, presumably the
implication is that its effects would be global to all backends.  But
the uses that I've seen for suspending trigger invocations would be
happier with a local, temporary setting that only affects the current
backend.  Any thoughts about that?

                        regards, tom lane

2. Automatic findall function

3. Disable Trigger within a Trigger

4. techiniques faster then updatebatch

5. Disable a trigger from within another trigger or stored procedure

6. Wondering About Only Having 96 Messages...

7. demo crash & disable

8. Looking for part time job

9. pgsql/src/backend/access/transam xlog.c

10. pgsql/src/backend/access/transam xlogutils.c

11. pgsql/src/backend/access/transam xact.c

12. pgsql/src/backend/access/transam (xlogutils.c)

13. pgsql/src/backend/access/transam (xact.c xlog.c)