Ultrix port

Post by Peter Eisentra » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:00:52

Quote:Alexander Klimov writes:
> After two days of strugle I have compiled pgsql on ultrix, patch is in
> attachment. I still can't run `gmake check', because of shell problems
> in install.log:

> install:   no destination specified
> gmake[6]: *** [install-lib-shared] Error 1
> gmake[6]: Leaving directory
> `/tmp_mnt/hosts/wisdom/NewSoftware/Ask/build/pgsql/src/interfaces/libpq'

You either need to add

enable_shared = no

to Makefile.ultrix4, or inform Makefile.shlib about how to build shared
libraries.

Quote:> With the speed of the box it will take another two days to fix and
> check :-)

If you're using GCC then configure with --enable-depend to build
dependencies, so you don't have to do make clean everytime.

Quote:> First problem is sys/socket.h. Here it has no guards in it (like
> #ifdef _SOCKET_H
> #endif), so it could not be included twice, and I have to remove its
> unnecesarry inclusions.

Since there will be more unnecessary inclusions the next time somebody
touches a file, the ultimately better strategy might be to add such a
wrapper manually.

Quote:> I have to add src/utils/strdup.o to linking in
> src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc and /src/bin/pg_passwd
> and I don't shure how to do it in patch (so, it is not there).

See src/bin/psql/Makefile for examples of linking in helper .o files.

Quote:> sys/ipc.h included from miscadmin.h is needed for sys/sem.h, so I reorder
> their inclusion.

Better to explicitly include sys/ipc.h again where it's needed.

Quote:> There is no dynamic libraries for Ultrix, so I have to download libdl, but
> it is not supported by configure (I guess), so I add
> LIBS += -L/home/ask/soft/build/libdl -ldl
> it is obviously wrong -- should be changed.

There's

AC_CHECK_LIB(dl,       main)

which does what you want, but you need to give your linker a hint where to
find it.  See configure --with-libraries.

Quote:> BTW: Do anybody know about tool, helping to analize include structure, in
> order to eliminate several includes of one file (like case with
> sys/socket.h which is unneeded for everybody, who includes libpq-be.h)

Maybe the stuff under

src/tools/pginclude/

helps.

Ultrix port

Post by Tom La » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:15:00

> First problem is sys/socket.h. Here it has no guards in it (like
> #ifdef _SOCKET_H
> #endif), so it could not be included twice, and I have to remove its
> unnecesarry inclusions.

Are you sure these are unnecessary?  What are the odds this patch will
break other platforms?

                        regards, tom lane

Ultrix port

Post by Alexander Klim » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:05:38

> > First problem is sys/socket.h. Here it has no guards in it (like
> > #ifdef _SOCKET_H
> > #endif), so it could not be included twice, and I have to remove its
> > unnecesarry inclusions.

> Are you sure these are unnecessary?  What are the odds this patch will
> break other platforms?

I almost shure it is not, because sys/socket.h already included in each of
the files but indirectly, thru libpq-be -> pqcomm, that include it on non
windows platforms. My guess is that tracking and elimination of double
includes of the same file is useful in general, because it at
least decrease compilation time.

Regards,
ASK

1. Porting Windows4gl application from ultrix to osf/1

Hi,
I have been given the task of porting a windows4gl application
written under an ultrix operating system to the new DEC UNIX O/S

If there is any one out there that has done something similar
I would appreciate any advise, or remarks about the obstacles that
you have faced.

The application does call various shell scripts, 3gl's and report
writer scripts. Any oddities that you may have noticed will be
very usefull to me.

Regards

        Devan
        Developer.

2. FoxPro Mac Professional Q's

3. porting ingres to ULTRIX V4.2A

4. 64 bit migration from 32 bit

5. Ultrix/SQL 1.0 w/ Ultrix 4.2

6. SQL LINKS V2.0, SQL*NET V2, ORACLE7 and DECNET

7. Is ULTRIX/SQL free after buying ULTRIX ?

8. ODBC Statua code 35

9. SQL default port vs. any other port

10. Porting or not porting, that is the question!!!

11. (make, solaris porting, sybase porting) problem?

12. UDP port and TCP port

13. pgsql/src backend/port/beos/Tag: backend/port/ ...