developer deleted a database directory, postgres won't start

developer deleted a database directory, postgres won't start

Post by w.. » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:49:13

One of the developers deleted a directory from postgress's data
directory. (He mistakenly believed this was "just like mysql" where
he could drop the database like that)

At any rate, now postgres just dies when it's attempting to
start, how can I fix this? I've never done anything this stupid
so I have no idea where to look?

Thank you so much for the help

Sincerely,

Will LaShell

"Doh.. STUPID STUPID STUPID"

--an excerpt taken from every developers cvs
  commit message at some point

developer deleted a database directory, postgres won't start

Post by selko.. » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:42:05

Quote:> One of the developers deleted a directory from postgress's data
> directory. (He mistakenly believed this was "just like mysql" where
> he could drop the database like that)

> At any rate, now postgres just dies when it's attempting to
> start, how can I fix this?

I am not 100% sure whether that was a database or a table, but it
helped me once to set up a decoy. I just copied a similar file (or
a directory -- I am sorry, it's been too long ago). I could then start
the postmaster and later fix the problem by deleting the orphaned
records from the system catalogs.

That was when the schema still had some resemblance of the one
inherited from Berkeley
(http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/programmer/system-catalog...
-- this one is now four or more years out of date)

But I failed the same stunt recently, after going through a dozen or so
system tables without completely understanding them. Maybe I just
didn't want it too bad, but I am still wondering: would it be possible
for people of knowledge to go over this diagram, mark the changes in
pencil, scan it and post it here? I could then review, verify and
build a new diagram -- if that's a problem.

I often hear people argue that perl code doesn't need comments since
perl is self-documenting. A couple of times, I heard a similar
argument in regards to a database schema. C'mon, have mercy on the old
man! I feel myself like a blind electrician when I hack in the schema
without a diagram.

Quote:> I've never done anything this stupid

This is how the blind electrician got zapped:

        su root
        cd /
        ls
        rm -rf /tmp *

(automatically inserting blanks on the word boundaries and hitting CR
at the end of a paragraph is a well-known typing habit: it's cheaper
to occasionally erase extra space or a CR than stop and think
whether you need one every time. Watch out!)

--Gene

1. Upgrade to win xp and ms sql server won't start

Hi,
    From win 2k pro upgrade to win xp pro and now the the ms sql 2000(
developer's edition) service won't start, with this message "The Service did
not start due to a logon failure" even I' d tried to start it from MMC,
service manager even enterprise manager

Thanks in advance

2. E-mail CRap

3. FMP 4 won't start on Win 95

4. US-GA-DATA WAREHOUSING/DATA MODELING ARCHITECT

5. Database won't start on reboot NT

6. Newbie: Do I have to have domain user account to replicate?

7. Database marked SUSPECT problem (service won't start)

8. Oracle certification!

9. Database Won't Start

10. HELP- database won't start !!

11. Power outage, database won't start

12. DELETE won't DELETE

13. RAM device doesn't exist - SQL Server won't start