timing a process

Post by Zhang, Ann » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 06:44:57

Hi All,

I like to know how to timing a process? like in oracle sqlplus, we can set
timing on, then execute a statement, such way we can know how long the
process takes. In psql, is there such feature?

Anna Zhang

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

timing a process

Post by Florian Helmberge » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:13:51

Hi.

You can try something like this:

  time psql template1 postgres -c "select usename from pg_user"

Cheers,
Florian

Post by Thomas » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:21:58

> Hi All,

> I like to know how to timing a process? like in oracle sqlplus, we can set
> timing on, then execute a statement, such way we can know how long the
> process takes. In psql, is there such feature?

Hello Anna,

sometimes I help myself with a construct like this:

create table timetab ( tt_run datetime );
insert into timetab values ( current_timestamp );

-- query

select age( current_timestamp, tt_run ) from timetab;

Thomas

1. DTS package takes a long time to process

I have developed a dts package which consists of several
process using SQL 2000...One of the process
involving "Execute SQL Task".
In the coding for that particular "Execute SQL Task" job,
I was referring to 1 view where the source table comes
from another database.
Since that was the case, it took a very long time to
finish executing it. I was quite sure it is due to the
source coming from another database because I create
another dts package with same coding but this time
referring to a table in the same database ( just for
testing purpose) and it took a few minutes only.
Is there a way to fasten the process bcos I have to
maintain the source to be in a different database.
.

2. Btree key deletion

3. timing a process [was: Re: Prepare once, Execute many]

4. P.C. Emulation software

5. Shrink File take more time to process

6. LogFille corrupted

7. Time series processing

8. pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/installation.sgml /INSTALL

9. Suitability for real-time data processing?

10. Time Out process

11. Suitability for real-time data processing?

12. DISL: Change a MSSQL70 date from GMT to local time without processing it

13. Real-Time Data Processing