force of last XID

Post by Alex Pilos » Sun, 20 May 2001 12:51:42

Hi,

I managed to drop really important table. Fortunately, I had a backup of
the table (raw #### file, not a ascii file). After putting that table into
freshly initdb'd database, postgres doesn't see new transactions even
though 'vacuum' sees the tuples alright.

So, question. I'd like to force XID (of last committed transaction) of
postgres forward. Is there a good way to do it or hacking source is the
only way?

force of last XID

Post by Bruce Momji » Sun, 20 May 2001 13:09:22

Quote:> Hi,

> I managed to drop really important table. Fortunately, I had a backup of
> the table (raw #### file, not a ascii file). After putting that table into
> freshly initdb'd database, postgres doesn't see new transactions even
> though 'vacuum' sees the tuples alright.

> So, question. I'd like to force XID (of last committed transaction) of
> postgres forward. Is there a good way to do it or hacking source is the
> only way?

Try copying over the pg_log file from the old database.  That should
help.

--
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us

  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster