Writing apps for ORDBMS

Post by Aurangzeb M. Agh » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:53:46

Is there a white-paper or something out there on how to write apps which
take advantage of the object-relational features of ORDBMS's?

I'm using PostgreSQL right now, but I'm using it as a relational DB,
meaning that I'm not taking advantage of, to my knowledge, any of the
object capabilities of the DB.

I've looked at techdocs but not found anything to my liking.

        Thx,
        Aurangzeb

--

                     | Home  : +3 010 8959.558
34 Nafsika St.       | Direct: +3 010 8995.875
Voula 16673          | Mobile: TBD
Greece               | e-Fax : 978 246.0770
                     | PGP id: 0x68B3A763

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little

                                        - Benjamin Franklin

Writing apps for ORDBMS

Post by Justin Cli » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 04:03:56

> Is there a white-paper or something out there on how to write apps which
> take advantage of the object-relational features of ORDBMS's?

> I'm using PostgreSQL right now, but I'm using it as a relational DB,
> meaning that I'm not taking advantage of, to my knowledge, any of the
> object capabilities of the DB.

> I've looked at techdocs but not found anything to my liking.

Of course, if someone wants to write something on this topic to help
people, we'd be happy to have it on the Techdocs site.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Quote:>    Thx,
>    Aurangzeb

- Indira Gandhi

Writing apps for ORDBMS

Post by elei » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 05:19:45

This is the primary topic of my book in progress.  (Don't
hold your breath, but I'm working on it...)

I also recommend "The Plumber's Guide" by Paul Brown,
however all of the syntax comes from the informix 9 implementation
of ORDBMS which diverged from its conceptual postgres roots.
It also describes  features which are specific to informix 9 and
are not relevant for postgresql.

Quote:> Is there a white-paper or something out there on how to write apps which
> take advantage of the object-relational features of ORDBMS's?

> I'm using PostgreSQL right now, but I'm using it as a relational DB,
> meaning that I'm not taking advantage of, to my knowledge, any of the
> object capabilities of the DB.

> I've looked at techdocs but not found anything to my liking.

>    Thx,
>    Aurangzeb

--=20
-------------

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Writing apps for ORDBMS

Post by Mike Mascar » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 05:36:22

> This is the primary topic of my book in progress.  (Don't
> hold your breath, but I'm working on it...)
>=20
> I also recommend "The Plumber's Guide" by Paul Brown,
> however all of the syntax comes from the informix 9 implementation
> of ORDBMS which diverged from its conceptual postgres roots.
> It also describes  features which are specific to informix 9 and
> are not relevant for postgresql.
>=20

>=20

> > Is there a white-paper or something out there on how to write apps which
> > take advantage of the object-relational features of ORDBMS's?

> > I'm using PostgreSQL right now, but I'm using it as a relational DB,
> > meaning that I'm not taking advantage of, to my knowledge, any of the
> > object capabilities of the DB.

> > I've looked at techdocs but not found anything to my liking.

There is also a bit of a dispute going on as to the value of the object "mo=
dels" that have thus far been put forward. Date & Darwen argue in "Foundati=
on for Future Database Systems", that the "relvar =3D class" equation is th=
e DBMS world's "First Great Blunder". They argue that domain inheritance, w=
hich is orthogonal to the relational model, has merit but that relation var=
iable inheritance (such as that implemented in PostgreSQL) does not.

Mike Mascari

Writing apps for ORDBMS

Post by elei » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 06:06:21

Oh, yes, there is controversy.  I have Date&Darwen's rants as
well as Stonebraker's.  And I have found that sometimes practicality=20
overrides all arguments.  I hope to take this practical slant in the book.

But in the interest of disclosure, I've worked for three
(or two, depending on how you count) Stonebraker companies, ingres,=20
illustra and informix.  For anyone who didn't already know, Michael
Stonebraker was one of the professors  running the ingres project and=20
the main one running postgres at UCBerkeley.  He co-founded Ingres
(aka Relational Technology) and Illustra (which was acquired by Informix).

> > This is the primary topic of my book in progress.  (Don't
> > hold your breath, but I'm working on it...)

> > I also recommend "The Plumber's Guide" by Paul Brown,
> > however all of the syntax comes from the informix 9 implementation
> > of ORDBMS which diverged from its conceptual postgres roots.
> > It also describes  features which are specific to informix 9 and
> > are not relevant for postgresql.

> > > Is there a white-paper or something out there on how to write apps
> > > which take advantage of the object-relational features of ORDBMS's?

> > > I'm using PostgreSQL right now, but I'm using it as a relational DB,
> > > meaning that I'm not taking advantage of, to my knowledge, any of the
> > > object capabilities of the DB.

> > > I've looked at techdocs but not found anything to my liking.

> There is also a bit of a dispute going on as to the value of the object
> "models" that have thus far been put forward. Date & Darwen argue in
> "Foundation for Future Database Systems", that the "relvar =3D class"
> equation is the DBMS world's "First Great Blunder". They argue that domain
> inheritance, which is orthogonal to the relational model, has merit but
> that relation variable inheritance (such as that implemented in PostgreSQ=
L)
> does not.

> Mike Mascari

--=20
-------------

Writing apps for ORDBMS

Post by Aurangzeb M. Agh » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:23:16

Elein --

Do you have plans to have your work in progress focus on a specific
database like PostgreSQL or are you shooting for a generic approach of
ORDBMS App writing?

I'm curious to know because I can find very little out there on the
subject.

I am _not_ a DB guru, but I have recently put together a very large-scale
app and web portal that uses PostgreSQL in the back-end.  However, as
stated in my original post, I do not use any of the object-side
capabilities of the DB.

The question that hit me was, why?  But before I start down this road, I'd
like to explore any existing info on the subject; in my case, as it
specifically relates to PostgreSQL.

I'd be more than willing to (eventually) write a paper on the topic, but
I'm basically starting from ground-zero and need to know where to start.

Thanks for the tip on "The Plumber's Guide".

        Rgs,
        Aurangzeb

:
:Oh, yes, there is controversy.  I have Date&Darwen's rants as
:well as Stonebraker's.  And I have found that sometimes practicality
:overrides all arguments.  I hope to take this practical slant in the book.
:
:But in the interest of disclosure, I've worked for three
:(or two, depending on how you count) Stonebraker companies, ingres,
:illustra and informix.  For anyone who didn't already know, Michael
:Stonebraker was one of the professors  running the ingres project and
:the main one running postgres at UCBerkeley.  He co-founded Ingres
:(aka Relational Technology) and Illustra (which was acquired by Informix).
:

:

:>
:> > This is the primary topic of my book in progress.  (Don't
:> > hold your breath, but I'm working on it...)
:> >
:> > I also recommend "The Plumber's Guide" by Paul Brown,
:> > however all of the syntax comes from the informix 9 implementation
:> > of ORDBMS which diverged from its conceptual postgres roots.
:> > It also describes  features which are specific to informix 9 and
:> > are not relevant for postgresql.
:> >

:> >

:> > > Is there a white-paper or something out there on how to write apps
:> > > which take advantage of the object-relational features of ORDBMS's?
:> > >
:> > > I'm using PostgreSQL right now, but I'm using it as a relational DB,
:> > > meaning that I'm not taking advantage of, to my knowledge, any of the
:> > > object capabilities of the DB.
:> > >
:> > > I've looked at techdocs but not found anything to my liking.
:>
:> There is also a bit of a dispute going on as to the value of the object
:> "models" that have thus far been put forward. Date & Darwen argue in
:> "Foundation for Future Database Systems", that the "relvar = class"
:> equation is the DBMS world's "First Great Blunder". They argue that domain
:> inheritance, which is orthogonal to the relational model, has merit but
:> that relation variable inheritance (such as that implemented in PostgreSQL)
:> does not.
:>
:> Mike Mascari

:
:

--

                     | Home  : +3 010 8959.558
34 Nafsika St.       | Direct: +3 010 8995.875
Voula 16673          | Mobile: TBD
Greece               | e-Fax : 978 246.0770
                     | PGP id: 0x68B3A763

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little

                                        - Benjamin Franklin

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

1. PDOX4.5: Updating apps written with App Workshop

   Hi...  I've developed an application using the Application Workshop in
Paradox 4.5 for DOS.  The system is already in use and contains a fair
amount of data.  I've been doing upgrades all along.  Until recently,
when I wanted to upgrade the system in use, I would copy the app workshop
files, script files, and libraries over the old ones and everything would
be fine.  If there were new tables, I would just copy those over to.
This meant keeping the old data but using the new system.   Recently, I
added a form and made several other changes.  Now I can't just copy over
the relevant files including the form.  It tells me "Unable to open form
1".  What I would like to know is exactly what files are needed to run
the application in the first place (I just copied everything app workshop
produces) and I would also like to know exactly what files I can replace
without overwriting the old data (I'm assuming that .DB and .PX files are
the only ones).  Please answer by email if you can...
     Thanks in advance,
        Finnegan

--
 ----=== Finnegan Southey   :   Computing and Communications Services ===----

 ----===         Ever get the feeling you're watching someone?        ===----

2. Shrink Database

3. SQL 7.0 Silent ODBC Driver Install

4. How to invoke MDX apps written in VB from client apps

5. Out of Memory on Terminal Server working with VB-PRG (ADO2.5 and ADODC-Objekt used)

6. Help on writing multi-DBMS platform apps.

7. FTS on russian data

8. Help vb5 app to read/write access database under application control

9. Looking for Help writing VB/Access Daatabase App

10. HELP- Can't read records when they were written by a VB5 app

11. VFP, XP and app written for 2.6

12. Best method for writing apps!