DBD::Pg vs Pg.pm

Post by Culley Harrelso » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:14:24

--=_3D67F889.7F1E2F1C

Are there any significance performance differences between DBD::Pg and goin=
g directly to Pg.pm.  I wasn't even aware that there was a difference till =
I recently...  The interface difference between the two are drastic.

culley

--=_3D67F889.7F1E2F1C

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D1>Are there any&nbsp;significance performance=20
differences&nbsp;between DBD::Pg&nbsp;and going directly to&nbsp;Pg.pm.&nbs=
p; I=20
wasn't even aware that there was a difference till I recently...&nbsp; The=
=20
interface difference between the two are drastic.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D1>culley</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=_3D67F889.7F1E2F1C--

DBD::Pg vs Pg.pm

Post by Doug McNaug » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:34:24

> Are there any?significance performance differences?between DBD::Pg?and going
> directly to?Pg.pm.? I wasn't even aware that there was a difference till I
> recently...? The interface difference between the two are drastic.

I wouldn't imagine that there's much of a difference.  The main
advantage of the DBD module is that it fits into the DBI framework
which uses a common interface for many different databases.  So if you
had a Perl script using a proprietary database through DBI, you could
convert it fairly easily to use Postgres (depending on how much
non-standard SQL and server-side stuff you were doing).

DBI is the "recommended" way to use databases from Perl but Pg.pm
works fine AFIAK.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

1. Building perl mods pg:PG or DBD:PG on non-PostgreSQLable machines

I recently asked about adding DBD:PG to Novell and got the reply that it should
be possible since novell supports DBI.

However, Since I cannot install / build PostgreSQL on a novell machine I do not
satisfy the requirments for building DMD:Pg.

How can I add either of the mentioned perl modules to a machine that does not
have the postgresql libraries?

I have the libraries built on a linux/x86 box. Can I just copy them to the
novell server( I 99.99999% sure the answer to this question is no)?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff Post

PostgreSQL support I would appreciate it!

http://archives.postgresql.org

2. OPS$user:-- Why won't it work????

3. Building perl mods pg:PG or DBD:PG on non

4. insert records in a paradox table with about 300000 records fails!!!

5. pgsql/src/interfaces/perl5 Pg.pm Pg.xs

6. Application Server Openroad-Ingres. I can't connect

7. Installing DBD::Pg module without Pg Database server

8. Multiple PG Installations with DBD::Pg?

9. DBD::Pg & DBD::PgPP Cpan question

10. pg_dump: PG 7.0 -> PG 7.2.1