alter user to change user's password returns pg_shadow: Permission

alter user to change user's password returns pg_shadow: Permission

Post by Wayne Johns » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:32:51

According to the Postgresql manual, a user can alter their own
password.  When I try:
alter user "test" with password "zzzz";
Where test is the user id signed in with, I get the error:
ERROR:  pg_shadow: Permission denied.

What am I overlooking?

Tia,

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

alter user to change user's password returns pg_shadow: Permission

Post by Wayne Johnso » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 09:18:59

OK, so apparently the solution is to upgrade.  My OS is currently RedHat
6.2.  I'm a little leary of upgrading Linux at this point.  Is there a
way to run Postgresql 7 under RedHat 6.2 or do I have to upgrade?

> According to the Postgresql manual, a user can alter their own
> password.  When I try:
> alter user "test" with password "zzzz";
> Where test is the user id signed in with, I get the error:
> ERROR:  pg_shadow: Permission denied.

> What am I overlooking?

> Tia,

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

alter user to change user's password returns pg_shadow: Permission

Post by Jason Turn » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:55:01

Quote:> OK, so apparently the solution is to upgrade.  My OS is currently RedHat
> 6.2.  I'm a little leary of upgrading Linux at this point.  Is there a
> way to run Postgresql 7 under RedHat 6.2 or do I have to upgrade?

Currently running PostgreSQL under RedHat 6.0 over here.  Works like a
treat (thanks, guys!).

Did you get a source or RPM install?  Either one is painless, apart from
a full backup, initdb, reload cycle (even that's not too bad).  There
are full docs for this on the site, just haven't got the url atm.
Just make sure you do an upgrade in the form it was installed.  If
you got the RPM originally, upgrade via RPM (but *get the dump first!*).
Ditto for source.  Mixing and matching source vs. RPM upgrades under
RedHat is *such* a pain in the backside...

Cheers

Jason
--
Indigo Industrial Controls Ltd.
64-21-343-545

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

1. alter user to change user's password returns pg_shadow: Permission denied.

Works for me.  What version are you running?

BTW, any reasonably recent version of PG will object to that style of
quoting --- the password in ALTER USER is a string literal, not an
identifier, so it needs single quotes not double quotes.

                        regards, tom lane

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

2. MTS VB and clsutered SQL server 7.0

3. Change Password without ALTER USER

4. Faxing FPW26 documents with Fax/Modem

5. Change User Name and User Password on MSDE 2000

6. Sybase install problem: Solaris 2.4 ODS SS1000 SSA100

7. How to change a user's password

8. Trouble with UNIQUE

9. Changing user's password

10. can't change to single user, says other user in database

11. Grant the Alter Proceduer permission to a database user

12. How do I grant a user Alter table permissions

13. user change or change user rights for MS ACCESS DB with DAO (MFC)