"Default segment is full"

Post by Herman La » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm using SQL Server 6.0.

I was running an application to insert into "TableX" and received the
following error message:

"Can't allocate space for TableX because the default segment is full. If
you ran out of space in syslogs, dump transaction log.  Otherwise, use
Alter Database or sp_extendsegment to increase the size of the segment."

My transaction log is not full.  I have only used 9% of it.  I increased
the size my database by 30 megabytes.  But, I am still getting this
error.

So, it appears that increasing the database size does not affect the default
segment.  What is the "default segment"?  Is it the same thing as the default
device?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Judy

"Default segment is full"

Post by John Berr » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

If you are getting the 9% figure from EM or sp_spaceused, take the figure
with a grain of salt.  These functions get their statistics from sysindexes
which is often incorrect for syslogs. You could do a dbcc
checktable(syslogs) to verify.  If it turns out your log is really filled
up, do a dump transaction with no_log.

Unless you are explicity using segments with the sp_addsegment and 'create
table on <segment>'  commands, everything is sitting on the default segment
in your database.  You can see segment info with sp_helpdb.  Segments are a
way to partition your database onto different storage devices.  Since RAID
does this automatically it is usually not necessary to do this.

John Berry

>I'm using SQL Server 6.0.

>I was running an application to insert into "TableX" and received the
>following error message:

>"Can't allocate space for TableX because the default segment is full. If
>you ran out of space in syslogs, dump transaction log.  Otherwise, use
>Alter Database or sp_extendsegment to increase the size of the segment."

>My transaction log is not full.  I have only used 9% of it.  I increased
>the size my database by 30 megabytes.  But, I am still getting this
>error.

"Default segment is full"

Post by Sonia Adel » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

May be!
If you edit the DataBase with the SQL Enterprise Manager, you can
truncate the Transaccion Log. In another hand, I think you can not
rollback any old transaction.

Bye! (Sorry by my English)
--
Sonia Adell

Herman Lam escribi:

Quote:

> I'm using SQL Server 6.0.

> I was running an application to insert into "TableX" and received the
> following error message:

> "Can't allocate space for TableX because the default segment is full. If
> you ran out of space in syslogs, dump transaction log.  Otherwise, use
> Alter Database or sp_extendsegment to increase the size of the segment."

> My transaction log is not full.  I have only used 9% of it.  I increased
> the size my database by 30 megabytes.  But, I am still getting this
> error.

> So, it appears that increasing the database size does not affect the default
> segment.  What is the "default segment"?  Is it the same thing as the default
> device?

> Thanks in advance for your help.

> Judy

"Default segment is full"

Post by Alan McKelvi » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

This error can also occur when a system table, specifically temp_db, runs
out of room. On install, temp_db, part of master, is created as a 2 mb file
which is often no where near enough. you might try increasing the master
device, and then expanding temp_db by 8 mb or so.
arm