Replication problems

Post by Krishnan Margabandh » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,
I'm having some problems with SQL Server 6.0 Replication.
* I have some table which contain Text columns. When the table is
replicated, the Text columns are replicated as Null. Initially I had created
the publication as transaction based. Yesterday I changed it to scheduled
table refresh and it is still doing the same thing. I have SP3 installed. Is
there a way out. The Text fields are critical and without them the other
details will not be of much use. Any suggestions??.
* Is there a way to partition a table horizontally based on rows in other
table. What I want to do is this. The Application that I'm developing will
be run on Head office and Branches. The Head office creates all the Employee
records which is to be replicated to the branches. Along with the Employee
records, some other records get created. How do I  replicate the data in the
other tables to the respective branches. The Employee table contains the
branch code. What I did was to give a sub query in the filter clause.
For eg, for the Allowances table I specified the filter clause as
    EA01_EMP_NO IN (SELECT EM01_EMP_NO FROM EM_EMPLOYEE WHERE
EM44_CURR_BRNCH = 'CSP').
This does not seem to work. I went thru the Technet last night and found out
that this is a Bug and has been fixed in SP2. I installed SP3 and it is
still not working.
Please help. I'm stuck with these problems.
Thanks in advance
--Krishnan Margabandhu
   Kingston, Jamaica

Replication problems

Post by Nancy Hid » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Krishnan,
Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 6.0
Replication does not support Text data types.  There is a section in the
"What's New in SQL 6.5" BOL called "text and image Replication" which
define the rules for using replication in 6.5 with these data types.
HTH,
Nancy Hidy
Database Consultant, MCSE
Shell Services International

Replication problems

Post by Chris Leonar » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Actually, according to the docs, Krishnan's scheduled table refresh approach
should work, even in 6.0.  Anybody know why it won't?

From the 6.0 docs:
 How are text and image columns handled?
Transaction-based replication of text and image columns is not supported.
However, scheduled table refresh of text and image columns is supported.
For example, you could publish an article that contains text and image
columns and do a table refresh of the subscribers at a defined interval (for
example, every hour). You could then join the text and image destination
table with a transaction log-based destination table. To ensure proper
consistency, you would probably need to publish a timestamp column.
For information about publishing a table by using the Scheduled Table
Refresh option, see Chapter 14, Setting Up Replication.
--
Chris Leonard
SQL Server / Windows NT MCP

Replication problems

Post by Steve Robinso » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Krishnan,

Have you thought of upgrading to SQL 6.5.  I have been watching your threads
over the past few days and it seems like you are having quite a few
problems.  Replication under SQL6.0 was very very buggy to say the least and
the client where I am now ended up reporting loads of bugs.  Now we are at
6.5 the setup is the same as yours (headoffice to branch) with over 100
branches and 3 headoffice servers.  Sure there are problems now and again,
but overall its great.

I hope this was of use to you.

Steve Robinson

Quote:>If you set up Scheduled table refresh is it necessary to do Synchornization
>with the destinable table?. If so this would not work for me.
>Synchronization of the publisher and subscriber cannot be done because the
>publisher contains only a subset of subscriber's data. This is a typical
>Head office, Branch situatuion where the Head office maintains a copy of
all
>the Branch data, hence Synchronization cannot be done.

>I have fixed the length of the Text fields to 1000 characters and I'm
>breaking one text field to 4 varchar(255) fields. At the subscriber, I'm
>running a background process that will combine this field with the main
>table. This is not a very good solution, but I could not think of a better
>solution.

>Thanks for the all the people that replied to the message.

>Rgds,
>Krishnan

Replication problems

Post by Jay Hackn » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Krishnan,

>Have you thought of upgrading to SQL 6.5.  I have been watching your threads
>over the past few days and it seems like you are having quite a few
>problems.  Replication under SQL6.0 was very very buggy to say the least and
>the client where I am now ended up reporting loads of bugs.  Now we are at
>6.5 the setup is the same as yours (headoffice to branch) with over 100
>branches and 3 headoffice servers.  Sure there are problems now and again,
>but overall its great.

>I hope this was of use to you.

>Steve Robinson

Steve,

What happens if your branch offices want to update or add information?

Jay

1. Replication problem

Hi all!

   Today, when I was watching the log of replication of my site, there
was the following error :

S1000[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] The non_clustered
leaf row entry for page 140102 row 10 was not found in index page 142153
indexid 2 database 'SINEDB'

   I need to find out which object the page belongs. How can I discover
this? And do you know a hint for the reason of this error?

      Thanks in advanced, Carlos

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ISQLW - format for configuration file -C command line option?

3. HPC Pro - Replication Problem

4. Backup Error 8009

5. Replication problem

6. Monitoring Free Space via a script

7. Selecting tables for replication problems

8. Timed_statistics

9. Replication Problem - SQL7.0

10. Replication problem

11. Please Help to solve the replication problem

12. Replication problem