kill command

Post by Geeth » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 22:57:46

We use sql server 6.5 (Microsoft SQL Server  6.50 -
6.50.416 (Intel X86) )

This happened two times so far:
A process was killed using the kill command.  No user can
get into any of the databases in that server.  We tried to
stop and start sql executive and that did not work.  We
tried to stop and start MSsqlserver and that did not work
either.  Finally we needed to bring the server down and
up. The sql server error log had the following:
spid 35: process id 34 killed by hostname ... host process
id ...
spid 35: process id 29 killed by hostname ... host process
id ...

then there is a series of stack dump messages from the
server
there is a series of stack dump messages from spid 34.

Any help will be appreciated!

kill command

Post by Erland Sommarsko » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 07:28:11

> We use sql server 6.5 (Microsoft SQL Server  6.50 -
> 6.50.416 (Intel X86) )

> This happened two times so far:
> A process was killed using the kill command.  No user can
> get into any of the databases in that server.  We tried to
> stop and start sql executive and that did not work.  We
> tried to stop and start MSsqlserver and that did not work
> either.  Finally we needed to bring the server down and
> up. The sql server error log had the following:
> spid 35: process id 34 killed by hostname ... host process
> id ...
> spid 35: process id 29 killed by hostname ... host process
> id ...

> then there is a series of stack dump messages from the
> server
> there is a series of stack dump messages from spid 34.

Stack dumps indicates bugs in SQL Server. Normally you can kill processes
with this causing SQL Server to get ill. Obviously this process was
into something which SQL Server could not handle. What I have no
idea.

If the problem appears frequenly, you may get help from Microsoft
support. Unless they already have a fix, they will not develop a
new one though, as no fixes are provided for 6.5.

However, there is a "post-service pack" which I believe you can
download from Microsoft.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Abaris AB

SQL Server MVP