SQL Server to NT App.

Post by Ramy Ayou » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,
 I would appreciate some advice on communicating from SQL Server to an
NT application. Basically, I would like the creation of a record in a
SQL Server database by one application to be detected by another NT
application. I was told:
1.  SQL Server triggers may be used to notify the other NT application.
Reading up on Triggers, I am not convinced that this may be done, since
they comprise mostly of Transact-SQL statements.

2. SQL Server DBMS may generate an event that may be detected by an
application when a certain record is created. I was unable to find an
example of this in my SQL Server literature.

Is there a recommended mechanism for alerting NT applications as to
database updates?

Thanks,
Ramy Ayoub

SQL Server to NT App.

Post by Ivan Santhumayo » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Triggers can call extended stored procs such as xp_cmdshell which can run a
NT command.

exec master..xp_cmdshell "<NT command or program>"

Note, however this will run as the account which sqlserver is configured
to.
Another option is to setup a sqlagent job and call sp_start_job <jobname>
from the trigger.

--
Ivan Santhumayor
Firmwide Database Support

Note: These are my own views and not that of Goldman Sachs

1. SQL Server to NT Apps

Hi all,
 I would appreciate some advice on communicating from SQL Server to an
NT application. Basically, I would like the creation of a record in a
SQL Server database by one application to be detected by another NT
application. I was told:
1.  SQL Server triggers may be used to notify the other NT application.
Reading up on Triggers, I am not convinced that this may be done, since
they comprise mostly of Transact-SQL statements.

2. SQL Server DBMS may generate an event that may be detected by an
application when a certain record is created. I was unable to find an
example of this in my SQL Server literature.

Is there a recommended mechanism for alerting NT applications as to
database updates?

Thanks,
Ramy Ayoub

2. Structure of a table

3. NT App'n Event Log (Size) and SQL Server performance

4. Database Replication errors

5. Heuristics for SQL Server 6.0 on NT/Server versus NT/Workstation

6. SQL-DMO Errors

7. SQL Server SP 5a, NT Server SP4, NT Workstation SP5, MDAC 2.1 - Error 37000

8. Group Lock Problem pdos 4.5

9. SQL server on NT WKS vs. NT Server

10. SQL Server 7 and Windows NT Terminal Server and Windows NT 5.0 beta

11. Connecting a SQL SERVER 2000 Database in NT Server From NT/98 Client

12. Deploying a SQL Server app without SQL Server

13. SQL Server 7.0 on NT Server to SQL Server 7.0 on win2k Pro