Escape sequence for return in a MEMO field

Escape sequence for return in a MEMO field

Post by Chesser, Alex [CAR:C556:EXCH » Sat, 26 May 2001 02:09:18

I've got a text field in my database that is entered via a web-based front
end
(text area)

if i try and export the data to an excel spreadsheet I get screwy formatting
because the textfield in SQL server retains the return

what is the character sequence that represents a return in a textfield

is it "\r"

and if so, could i strip them out by typing (in VB/VBScript)

Replace("\r"," ",myTextField)

anyways ... i'm at my wits end searhing through all the help documents
for escape sequences and special characters. if someone can give me the
answer i would truly appreciate it

Escape sequence for return in a MEMO field

Post by Erland Sommarsk » Sat, 26 May 2001 06:30:00

Quote:> what is the character sequence that represents a return in a textfield
> is it "\r"

> and if so, could i strip them out by typing (in VB/VBScript)

> Replace("\r"," ",myTextField)

   replace (myTextField, char(10) + char(13), ' ')

You may have to play around and try one of char(10) and char(13) for
the best result.

Note also the parameter order for replace.

--

1. Escape sequences in string fields - possible?

Is it possible to use escape sequences inside string fields (alphanum. )?
I would like to insert a escape sequence for newline to ensure that the next
word starts at a new line in my reports.

I tried to use \n, but neither the field in a form nor fields inside reports
recognized a escape sequence. (I'm using ver. 4.5  (WIN))

Helge

2. convert bit datatype to char

3. Putting a carriage Return in memo field????

4. SQL2000 & Dreamweaver MX

5. MySQL Memo Fields Returned (D5e, BDE5.11, MySQL on Linux Server, MyODBC)

6. system catlog problem

7. How to put carriage return into memo/varchar field

8. literature on SQL

9. ADO recordset returns truncated memo field.

10. querying an Oracle memo field with return from Access

11. Carriage returns in memo fields on forms in 5.0

12. Carage Return in Memo Fields?

13. removing spurious hard carriage returns in memo fields