Multiple table compare and update

Post by Chris Guyn » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:38:27

Howdy all.

Here's my situation.  My department recently upgraded a database from
Data-flex to SQL.  Through usage the following day, we found many
data/linking errors and we went back to using the data-flex version of the
database until we could resolve the problems.  We finally tracked down the
problems and have corrected the information, and here is where the tough
part comes in.  The SQL version of the database has somewhere around 250
user defined tables.  During the day we were using the SQL version, we
entered many new records.  What we would like to be able to do is import the
original data (and everything that we have added since returning to the old
system) into a new SQL database.  Then, we would like to compare the data
with the original installation of the SQL version and update the tables as
necessary.  Is there a way to do this in a quick, efficient manner or would
it have to be done on a table by table basis?

If you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask.  I will
provide as much info as possible.

Multiple table compare and update

Post by Jens Sü?meye » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:45:50

Hello Chris !

Try to use the DTS to get the data in the original database. In the options
just insert non-existing data, or use a query to insert only non-existing
data.

Hope thatll help you,  dont hesitate either to ask us ;-))

Jens S?meyer.

Quote:> Howdy all.

> Here's my situation.  My department recently upgraded a database from
> Data-flex to SQL.  Through usage the following day, we found many
> data/linking errors and we went back to using the data-flex version of the
> database until we could resolve the problems.  We finally tracked down the
> problems and have corrected the information, and here is where the tough
> part comes in.  The SQL version of the database has somewhere around 250
> user defined tables.  During the day we were using the SQL version, we
> entered many new records.  What we would like to be able to do is import
the
> original data (and everything that we have added since returning to the
old
> system) into a new SQL database.  Then, we would like to compare the data
> with the original installation of the SQL version and update the tables as
> necessary.  Is there a way to do this in a quick, efficient manner or
would
> it have to be done on a table by table basis?

> If you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask.  I will
> provide as much info as possible.

Multiple table compare and update

Post by Chris Guyn » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:55:10

Quote:> Hello Chris !

> Try to use the DTS to get the data in the original database. In the
options
> just insert non-existing data, or use a query to insert only non-existing
> data.

> Hope thatll help you,  dont hesitate either to ask us ;-))

> Jens S?meyer.

Jens,

Thanks for the help.  This solution only addresses part of the problem.  I
also need to be able to import changed data.  Any ideas?  I'm beginning to
think that it might be easier (since it's only about a days worth of data)
to have our data entry people re-enter the data in the old system so that
when we convert (for the second time) we won't have to deal with the
headaches involved.

Newsbeitrag

> > Howdy all.

> > Here's my situation.  My department recently upgraded a database from
> > Data-flex to SQL.  Through usage the following day, we found many
> > data/linking errors and we went back to using the data-flex version of
the
> > database until we could resolve the problems.  We finally tracked down
the
> > problems and have corrected the information, and here is where the tough
> > part comes in.  The SQL version of the database has somewhere around 250
> > user defined tables.  During the day we were using the SQL version, we
> > entered many new records.  What we would like to be able to do is import
> the
> > original data (and everything that we have added since returning to the
> old
> > system) into a new SQL database.  Then, we would like to compare the
data
> > with the original installation of the SQL version and update the tables
as
> > necessary.  Is there a way to do this in a quick, efficient manner or
> would
> > it have to be done on a table by table basis?

> > If you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask.  I will
> > provide as much info as possible.

Multiple table compare and update

Post by Lars-Erik Aabec » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:07:42

You can still use the DTS.
Look up "Data Driven Query Task" in the Online Books. It can analyze the
source data and decide which out of four (insert, update, delete and user)
queries to run on the current row. Might be what you're looking for :)

GL!

Lars-Erik

> > Hello Chris !

> > Try to use the DTS to get the data in the original database. In the
> options
> > just insert non-existing data, or use a query to insert only
non-existing
> > data.

> > Hope thatll help you,  dont hesitate either to ask us ;-))

> > Jens S?meyer.

> Jens,

> Thanks for the help.  This solution only addresses part of the problem.  I
> also need to be able to import changed data.  Any ideas?  I'm beginning to
> think that it might be easier (since it's only about a days worth of data)
> to have our data entry people re-enter the data in the old system so that
> when we convert (for the second time) we won't have to deal with the
> headaches involved.

> Newsbeitrag

> > > Howdy all.

> > > Here's my situation.  My department recently upgraded a database from
> > > Data-flex to SQL.  Through usage the following day, we found many
> > > data/linking errors and we went back to using the data-flex version of
> the
> > > database until we could resolve the problems.  We finally tracked down
> the
> > > problems and have corrected the information, and here is where the
tough
> > > part comes in.  The SQL version of the database has somewhere around
250
> > > user defined tables.  During the day we were using the SQL version, we
> > > entered many new records.  What we would like to be able to do is
import
> > the
> > > original data (and everything that we have added since returning to
the
> > old
> > > system) into a new SQL database.  Then, we would like to compare the
> data
> > > with the original installation of the SQL version and update the
tables
> as
> > > necessary.  Is there a way to do this in a quick, efficient manner or
> > would
> > > it have to be done on a table by table basis?

> > > If you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask.  I
will
> > > provide as much info as possible.

Multiple table compare and update

Post by Chris Guyn » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:36:04

Quote:> You can still use the DTS.
> Look up "Data Driven Query Task" in the Online Books. It can analyze the
> source data and decide which out of four (insert, update, delete and user)
> queries to run on the current row. Might be what you're looking for :)

> GL!

> Lars-Erik

Thanks.  It looks like I've got a lot of reading to do.  I appreciate all
the help.

C Guynn

> > > Hello Chris !

> > > Try to use the DTS to get the data in the original database. In the
> > options
> > > just insert non-existing data, or use a query to insert only
> non-existing
> > > data.

> > > Hope thatll help you,  dont hesitate either to ask us ;-))

> > > Jens S?meyer.

> > Jens,

> > Thanks for the help.  This solution only addresses part of the problem.
> > also need to be able to import changed data.  Any ideas?  I'm beginning
> > think that it might be easier (since it's only about a days worth of
data)
> > to have our data entry people re-enter the data in the old system so
that
> > when we convert (for the second time) we won't have to deal with the
> > headaches involved.

> > Newsbeitrag

> > the
> > the
> tough
> 250
> import
> > > the
> the
> > > old
> > data
> tables
> > as
> > > would

> will

1. compare multiple dates from multiple tables

I am trying to figure out a way to compare multiple datetime fields
from multiple tables and only select the most recent date.

Lets say I have 5 different (but related)tables called Table1, Table2,
Table3, Table4, and Table5.  Each of these tables has a similar
datetime field which specifies whether or not the record has been
changed (i.e. If a record was modified on 1/1/2001, then it's "DC"
field would have 1/1/2001.  But, if a date has never been modified, it
will have a null value).

What I would like to do is to be able to compare the "DC" field from
each of the 5 tables and to only obtain the most recent date.  If
there are no dates in existence, then the query would return a null
value.

This is relatively easy to do using various programming languages,
like VB, because you can just declare a variable to store the most
recent date value that I want to obtain.  However, I am not so sure
how I could implement this with a SQL query.

Anybody have any ideas about how I could solve this problem?

2. Index not found! VB open FoxPro table

3. Update on Multiple Records from Multiple Tables

4. OLE DB Problem

5. update multiple tables by using single update query

6. Combo box problem

7. field compares on table across multiple servers

8. data grid and multiple selections

9. UPDATE MULTIPLE ROWS IN ONE TABLE OBTAINING SUMS FROM ANOTHER TABLE

10. Comparing and updating one table from another

11. Compare & Update 2 Tables

12. Compare Two Tables and update

13. Tables - compare,update and append?