Help - Upgrade from a DEC Alpha to Intel!

Help - Upgrade from a DEC Alpha to Intel!

Post by Andy » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:42:29

Dear all,

We have SQL Server 6.5 on a DEC Alpha box, and want to upgrade it to SQL
Server 7 on an Intel box.

The upgrade wizard does not allow an upgrade from a different processor
type, so what should we do?
Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Andy

p.s. We have valid reasons (product dependancy) for not going with SQL
Server 2000 at this time, so please don't go down that route... cheers!

Help - Upgrade from a DEC Alpha to Intel!

Post by Deborah Runkl » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 01:50:12

Hello Andy,

I would try and see if you can find some third party
companies out there that can help transfer your data.
Take a look at Data Mirror and Data Connection to help
transfer your data.  Otherwise its BCP the data out to the
new server.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Dear all,

>We have SQL Server 6.5 on a DEC Alpha box, and want to
upgrade it to SQL
>Server 7 on an Intel box.

>The upgrade wizard does not allow an upgrade from a
different processor
>type, so what should we do?
>Any help would be appreciated.

>Many thanks in advance,
>Andy

>p.s. We have valid reasons (product dependancy) for not
going with SQL
>Server 2000 at this time, so please don't go down that
route... cheers!

>.

Help - Upgrade from a DEC Alpha to Intel!

Post by mike menard 24262 » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 02:54:56

my advice would be to install on the intel and from the alpha do a database
copy wizard, or you can script your database and 'play' it on the alpha,
then dts from alpha to intel. i do this when moving from an old intel to new
intel.

mike menard

Quote:> Hello Andy,