SQL Server 7 point in time recovery

Post by Richard Spence » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

Anybody out there found a problem with the point in time recovery of a
transaction log?  Any ideas or service packs available ?

When I try this the time on the PIT screen automatically advances to the
last time of the Xlog I am trying to recover, therefore rolling forward the
changes I am trying to avoid.

thanks in advance--

SQL Server 7 point in time recovery

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Richard,

 I must admit I almost never use the gui - and NEVER for backups/restores.  Try
the LOAD/RESTORE syntax from the TSQL command line

Quote:> When I try this the time on the PIT screen automatically advances to the
> last time of the Xlog I am trying to recover, therefore rolling forward the
> changes I am trying to avoid.

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

SQL Server 7 point in time recovery

Post by Richard Spence » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Neil,
    Thanks.  I will try the restore from the command line with the
parameters and let you know.  I heard from  the local Microsoft rep that it
was a problem and that it is not fixed by Seervice Pack 1 ( not yet widely
available)

-Rick Spencer

>Richard,

> I must admit I almost never use the gui - and NEVER for backups/restores.
Try
>the LOAD/RESTORE syntax from the TSQL command line

>> When I try this the time on the PIT screen automatically advances to the
>> last time of the Xlog I am trying to recover, therefore rolling forward
the
>> changes I am trying to avoid.

> Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
> For SQL FAQ entries see
> http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always
here
> www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
> http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

1. SQL Server 2000 Point in time recovery

I performed a database restore using a full SQL database
backup and transaction logs to restore a test database to
a point in time.

After executing the restore, I received an error.  I
reviewed the SQL server logs and there were a number of
log entries.  The sequence of messages to the log were:

- starting up database 'BPT3'.

- bypassing recovery for database 'BPT3' because it is
marked IN LOAD.

- Database restored: Database: BPT3, creation date(time):
2001/08/28(13:05:13), first LSN: 3937:3933:1, last LSN:
3937:3938:1, number of dump devices: 1, device
information: (FILE=1, TYPE=DISK:
{'r:\sqlbackup\GP\data\BOSSP\BOSSP_db_200204222231.BAK'}).

These messages were written to the log numerous times (for
each transaction log applied).

It looks like all the transaction logs where applied from
the restore. But I am a bite weary about what was reported
in the sql logs.

I checked MS site and this error is listed as a bug fixed
in SP2.  Basically the bugs states that during a restore
if a transaction logs has zero entries (startlsn =
lastlsn), the database is opened and no additional logs
can be applied.

I was wondering if the messages I am seeing in the SQL
logs are informational; or is there a real problem?

Any comments would be great.  Thanks...

2. System/4 (4GL) People?

3. SQL Server 7 point in time recovery

4. Student Programmer Needed for Summer Project

5. Point in time recovery: recreating relation files

6. EXISTS question

7. help on point in time recovery of a partition

8. Delphi, Delphi, and Delphi

9. Point-in-time recovery in a standby db ?

10. POINT IN TIME RECOVERY QUESTION

11. Point-in-Time Recovery on a Tablespace

12. Point in Time recovery

13. point-in-time recovery