Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Post by Alen Zuli » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:37:11

Hi,

BOL :

When xp_cmdshell is invoked by a user who is a member of the sysadmin fixed
server role, xp_cmdshell will be executed under the security context in
which the SQL Server service is running. When the user is not a member of
the sysadmin group, xp_cmdshell will impersonate the SQL Server Agent proxy
account, which is specified using xp_sqlagent_proxy_account. If the proxy
account is not available, xp_cmdshell will fail. This is true only for NT
4.0 and Windows 2000. On Windows 9.x, there is no impersonation and
xp_cmdshell is always executed under the security context of the Windows 9.x
user who started SQL Server.

Check in Books OnLine for security issues on xp_cmdshell

Regards
Alen Zulic

Quote:> I am getting the error : 'Logon failure: unknown user name
> or bad password'

> This happen when I try to run the exec master..xp_cmdshell

> What is up with this? I have created the login on the
> target pc and then created the account in sql.

>  :<

> Horatio

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Post by Dejan Sark » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:42:29

Is the login member of the sysadmin role? If not, do please check the
"xp_sqlagent_proxy_account" topic in Books OnLine. Few lines from that
topic: "If the SQL Server user executing xp_cmdshell is not a member of the
sysadmin fixed server role, SQL Server executes the command using the
Windows account specified as the SQL Server Agent proxy account."

--
Dejan Sarka, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil & others at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

Quote:> I am getting the error : 'Logon failure: unknown user name
> or bad password'

> This happen when I try to run the exec master..xp_cmdshell

> What is up with this? I have created the login on the
> target pc and then created the account in sql.

>  :<

> Horatio

1. Error 1326 - Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Hi there,

I've 2 machines Win2k server & WinNT on different workgroups running SQL
Server 7.0 with SP2 of which one has already a Transactional
Publication. After creating a Pull Subscription on the other machine and
trying to Synchronize the data, the following errors appeared:

1)
Category:OS
Source:
Number:  1326
Message: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

2)
The process could not read file
'\\SHPSDS\E$\MSSQL7\ReplData\unc\SHPSDS_shps_DS Lookup
Tables\20021212160007\l_att_result.sch' due to OS error 1326.  The
step failed.

I've tried mapping the publisher's E$ from my subscriber and it could
actually see the file if I run
'\\SHPSDS\E$\MSSQL7\ReplData\unc\SHPSDS_shps_DS Lookup
Tables\20021212160007\l_att_result.sch'. However it does not solve the
problem. Would appreaciate some kind soul's help as its givin me lotsa
problems. Thanks!

2. TAPI anyone?

3. Unknown user name or bad password

4. AP/Linux

5. DTS Error: Unknown user name or password

6. HELP! VB4 PRO Printing Access2.0 reports w/OLE

7. Oracle8i Personal: installed but user name and password unknown (newbie)

8. Stupid ListBoxes

9. Logon Failure: bad username

10. OLAP Logon Failure NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON - HELP!

11. logon failure when logon as admin with service rights

12. TQuery SQL - Database, User, Password Logon

13. User Must Change Password at Next Logon how to get(retrieve)info about this attr