identity field skipping values

Post by suzann » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Under sql7, we are using an integer identity field that has started skipping
values with the latest release.  There are no rollbacks on insert xactions,
or any uncommitted insert xactions.  We are not deleting records.   All
attempted inserts go thru (to the best of my knowlege).   The skipping
appears to happen randomly, and there are about 100 skips out of 1000 new
inserts.  Our app is written in java and we use threads heavily
(multiprocessing) to perform db updates and inserts.

I am curious about other conditions which can cause the unsequential values.
I know ident fields are only meant to keep the row unique, however, I would
like to understand what is happening internally.

Suzanna

identity field skipping values

Post by suzann » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

oops, found the problem.  it is due to an aborted insert (duplicate error).
no problems with the identity field here afterall.

>Under sql7, we are using an integer identity field that has started
skipping
>values with the latest release.  There are no rollbacks on insert xactions,

identity field skipping values

Post by Charles Bretan » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Suzanna,

    Thanks for posting your discovery.... I've been pondering what else
could cause this, under the conditions you described, .... without success.

Regards,

Charly