error 3029

Post by Fatima Neve » Wed, 15 May 2002 21:57:02

SQL7, SP3 WNT4

My database has 3 filegroups. I can't perform a filegroup backup because of
the error 3029 [BUG #: 101324 SQLBUG_70)].

Description example: "Server: Msg 3029, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
Database file 'DB_DataA' is subject to logical recovery and must be among
the files to be backed up as part of the file or filegroup backup.
Server: Msg 3029, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
Database file 'DB_DataB' is subject to logical recovery and must be among
the files to be backed up as part of the file or filegroup backup.
Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally."

The workaround proposed by Microsoft doesn't solve the problem: "Perform a
full database backup before you attempt to make file or file group backups.
After the full backup, you can back up individual file groups. ".

I've done a full database backup and STILL can't do a filegroup backup
becuse the error (3029) persists.

Does anyone have hint to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance.
Fatima

error 3029

Post by Mike Galderis » Thu, 16 May 2002 01:16:58

If you have a database with multiple file groups and you
have a clustered index, which is created on a table in
each filegroup, an attempt to back up any individual file
group may fail with the exact error you are getting.

Solution: Try performing a full database backup first,
after which you should be able to back up individual file
groups.

*** Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem with
SQL Server 7.0

Hope this helps

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>SQL7, SP3 WNT4

>My database has 3 filegroups. I can't perform a

filegroup backup because of
Quote:>the error 3029 [BUG #: 101324 SQLBUG_70)].

>Description example: "Server: Msg 3029, Level 16, State
1, Line 2
>Database file 'DB_DataA' is subject to logical recovery
and must be among
>the files to be backed up as part of the file or
filegroup backup.
>Server: Msg 3029, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
>Database file 'DB_DataB' is subject to logical recovery
and must be among
>the files to be backed up as part of the file or
filegroup backup.
>Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
>Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally."

>The workaround proposed by Microsoft doesn't solve the
problem: "Perform a
>full database backup before you attempt to make file or
file group backups.
>After the full backup, you can back up individual file
groups. ".

>I've done a full database backup and STILL can't do a
filegroup backup
>becuse the error (3029) persists.

>Does anyone have hint to solve my problem?

>Thanks in advance.
>Fatima

>.

error 3029

Post by Aniruddha 'Raj' Bhowmic » Sun, 19 May 2002 05:37:30

Hi Fatima,

Have you checked to see that all your tables reside on the same filegroups,
i.e. is there a possibility that a table spans more than one filegroup?
You might want to run sp_help on all the user tables and ensure that this
is not the case.

Thanks,
Raj.

Aniruddha 'Raj' Bhowmick
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (NT 4.0)
Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (W2K/SQL2K)
SQL Server Support - Database Management
Las Colinas, TX.

Disclaimer:

Are you secure?  For information about the Strategic Technology Protection
Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/security.