Moving databases from SQL 6.5 to 7.0

Post by devo » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I am going to be moving all the db's and user accounts from a SQL 6.5
installation to a new 7.0 installation and I am wondering which is the best
route to go.  I have found many ways to go about this but can't decide which
one results in the least amount of clean up work.
The two installations are on different servers but are connected via 100
Mbps LAN.

Thanks

Moving databases from SQL 6.5 to 7.0

Post by Neil Boyl » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00

If your database are not enormous then I would just use the supplied upgrade
wizard. It's worked pretty well for me so far.

--
Neil Boyle
--

Quote:

> I am going to be moving all the db's and user accounts from a SQL 6.5
> installation to a new 7.0 installation and I am wondering which is the
best
> route to go.  I have found many ways to go about this but can't decide
which
> one results in the least amount of clean up work.
> The two installations are on different servers but are connected via 100
> Mbps LAN.

> Thanks

Moving databases from SQL 6.5 to 7.0

Post by Patrick Alsto » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

What if you done this and continued to use the 6.5 database and want to
update the data to the 7.0 server? Sort of a manual replication of data
between versions. How would you get the new data from 6.5 to 7.0?

> If your database are not enormous then I would just use the supplied
upgrade
> wizard. It's worked pretty well for me so far.

> --
> Neil Boyle
> --
> www.impetus-sql.co.uk - Free SQL Server online handbook

> > I am going to be moving all the db's and user accounts from a SQL 6.5
> > installation to a new 7.0 installation and I am wondering which is the
> best
> > route to go.  I have found many ways to go about this but can't decide
> which
> > one results in the least amount of clean up work.
> > The two installations are on different servers but are connected via 100
> > Mbps LAN.

> > Thanks

Moving databases from SQL 6.5 to 7.0

Post by Neil Boyl » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

DTS would seem to be the best bet

--
Neil Boyle