CREATE VIEW Permissions in SQL Server 2000

CREATE VIEW Permissions in SQL Server 2000

Post by Mike Cassar » Wed, 21 May 2003 01:41:21

I'm a programmer who is the default dba in our office, a
role I accept with reluctance.  I have a power user who
needs to create views in a database on one of our servers.
This user is the sole member of a group that has been
given SELECT rights to the tables in the db, statement
permission to create views, and access rights to write to
the folders containing the db files.  This user can use
the view designer and set up his view query but when he
tries to save the view he gets the following error
message:  "odbc error: odbc sql server driver invalid
cursor state."
Does anyone have any ideas as to what's missing here?
Does this user need access to one or more system db in
order to save his views?  What have I missed??

CREATE VIEW Permissions in SQL Server 2000

Post by Kalen Delane » Wed, 21 May 2003 01:43:58

What happens when he tries to create a view in Query Analyzer?

--
HTH
----------------

Quote:> I'm a programmer who is the default dba in our office, a
> role I accept with reluctance.  I have a power user who
> needs to create views in a database on one of our servers.
> This user is the sole member of a group that has been
> given SELECT rights to the tables in the db, statement
> permission to create views, and access rights to write to
> the folders containing the db files.  This user can use
> the view designer and set up his view query but when he
> tries to save the view he gets the following error
> message:  "odbc error: odbc sql server driver invalid
> cursor state."
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what's missing here?
> Does this user need access to one or more system db in
> order to save his views?  What have I missed??

CREATE VIEW Permissions in SQL Server 2000

Post by Mike Cassar » Wed, 21 May 2003 22:22:28

Kalen,

  He can create a view in Query Analyzer - which satisfies his needs.
But I'd like to know, if you've any ideas, why he can only create them
by that avenue?  Thanks for your help!

Mike

CREATE VIEW Permissions in SQL Server 2000

Post by Kalen Delane » Fri, 23 May 2003 03:55:30

I have no idea what EM is trying to do differently. You could try to trace
it through SQL Profiler and see what commands EM is actually trying to
execute.

--
HTH
----------------
Kalen Delaney
SQL Server MVP
www.SolidQualityLearning.com

Quote:> Kalen,

>   He can create a view in Query Analyzer - which satisfies his needs.
> But I'd like to know, if you've any ideas, why he can only create them
> by that avenue?  Thanks for your help!

> Mike

1. sql server 2000 viewing role permission

Hi,

I have just migrated a sql server 7 database from an nt 4
server to sql server 2000 on a new windows 2000 cluster.

I have been running some checks and noticed that on my
original sql server (with sql7 client tools)it takes a
couple of seconds to view the permissions for a certain
user defined db role, to view the same information on the
sql2k server (client tools 8) takes approx one minute.

If i use client tools 8 to view the same permissions on
the sql7 db the time taken is approx 10 miutes.

can anyone help

thanks in Advance
Gareth

2. Oracle is in trouble

3. How to create a parametric View in SQL server 2000

4. 8i - Linux - OPS

5. Using ACCESS 2000 to create SQL Server view and Store Procedures

6. Oracle and RS/6000

7. create view from SQL Server 2000 and 2003

8. Help needed with FAX CD

9. How to create a Oracle view in SQL 2000 Server

10. Can not create view with access 2000 ADP to SQL 2000

11. SQL 2000 B2: Can't create views/diagrams from Access 2000 project

12. Registry Permissions of OLAP server of SQL Server on Windows 2000

13. How to create a new local Server or Server name on existing SQL Server 2000 installation