EM doesn't see drive until it's formatted

EM doesn't see drive until it's formatted

Post by Arthur Yousi » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I have a client that has an interesting problem.  Their databases are on a
partition which is drive D.  SQL Server has an operating system error
5(Access denied) when attempting to open the devices on drive D.

I attempted to create a new device on drive D, but EM doesn't list it in
the drives list.  We backed up the drive and reformatted using NTFS (it was
NTFS before).  The partition is 2.9gig.  After the format, SQL Server can
see drive D and I can create a device and make a database.  Good so far.
After restoring the devices from tape, SQL Server no longer sees drive D
again.

I appreciate any help received on this problem.  I've not run into this and
am not sure how to approach solving it.  I currently have the client
running a virus check on the system.

Arthur Yousif

1. EM doesn't display columns of char datatype

Anyone ever come across this? We have a client, with one of our databases in
production, and when viewing a few (not all) of the tables using Enterprise
Manager, we can't see any columns that have a datatype of char! All other
columns are listed (smallint, int, datetime, etc), just no char! Using
sp_help on the table reports everything is there, and the front-end
application would have certainly bombed out by now if they weren't, but EM
continues to do this for specific tables! Strange, and only this site,
regardless of which machine we use to view it on (locally, remotely via RAS,
etc). They have an onsite consultant doing some work extracting data from
our database using Crystal Reports and Access, could it be something he has
done? Or perhaps it's a known issue (SP's are 5 & 5A for NT and SQL Server
6.5). Any pointers on this one would be great!

2. problem in creating XML using For XML explicit

3. EM doesn't show new db owner

4. Old w(h)ine in a new bottle

5. Package runs in EM - doesn't from ISQL / Command LIne DTSRun

6. Insert image in Oracle

7. EM not seeing all drives in cluster shared array

8. Scheduling DTS doesn't fail but doesn't work

9. class doesn't support automation or doesn't support expected interface

10. ORACLE DOESN'T COMPLY TO BASIC STANDARD SQL: SIMPLE QUERIES DOESN'T WORK

11. class doesn't support automation or doesn't support expected interface

12. SQL Server 2000 doesn't see drives in Cluster group