Pages size in MS/SQL server 7

Post by thols.. » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Can the pages size in SQL server be changed(increased/decreased) ?

If so : What is the procedure to change it ?

Thanks

Tor Kjell

Pages size in MS/SQL server 7

Post by finl.. » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Can the pages size in SQL server be changed(increased/decreased) ?

No, they are fixed at 8 KB / Page.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Pages size in MS/SQL server 7

Post by Neil Pik » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

No

Quote:> Can the pages size in SQL server be changed(increased/decreased) ?

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (412 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

1. Optimum Configuration for Page Size, NTFS Allocation Unit size and RAID Stripe size

Hello,
     I am currently building a PC that will serve primarily as a
database server. This is to replace an older machine. I have been
searching using Google to arrive at the optimum database/hardware
configuration.

I am using SQL Anywhere 5.5 running on Windows NT. The size of the
database is greater than 4G in size. Currently the page size is 1024
which was the default size. I plan on changing this to 4096.

The relevant specs of the PC are:

1G DDR-RAM
Adaptec 2100S SCSI RAID Card
Seagate Cheetah 18G 15K RPM SCSI HDD 8M Cache x 5
Windows NT 4.0 with SP6

The first thing I have realised is that I need to change the Database
page size to 4096. This is due to the size of the database.

Secondly, in regards to the NTFS partition, the allocation unit size
will be 4096. This is to match the database page size. My assumption
is that 1 to 1 ratio will be ideal.

One of the SCSI disks is the Boot disk. This leaves four SCSI disks to
setup in a RAID 0/1 array for the database & log file. Adaptec
recommends a 64KB Stripe size for the RAID 0 which means 32KB for each
disk in the array.

Therefore my optimum configuration is looking like this:

- Database Page size:        4096
- NTFS Allocation Unit size: 4096
- RAID 0 Stripe size:        64KB

Can anyone who has had experience in setting up a Sybase SQL Anywhere
database on a RAID array comment on my configuration?

This database server has regular inserts done during the day. The main
reason for optimising it is for the reports, i.e. retrieval of data
for daily reports. I have already optimised the SQL in the reports and
added indexes to the databases where appropriate. Now that I am
building a new PC server, I have the opportunity to optimise the
database page size/NTFS Cluster/RAID.

I almost forgot, I plan on allocating 512MB of RAM for the Database
cache.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Scheldon Pereira

2. menu-item property

3. Page sizes in SQL Server 2000

4. I can do a parametized ADO datagrid via VB and Access but not a REPORT! Please Help!

5. File DSN Connection from ASP page to MS SQL 2000 server

6. Locking Issue

7. Page locking in MS SQL Server

8. INFO ON ERWIN NEEDED!!

9. copy database between MS SQL7 and MS SQL 2000 with different code pages

10. GA-Alpharetta-110503--MS SQL Server-DBA Skills-Database Administrator (DBA)-MS SQL Server

11. Growing Log Size MS-SQL SERVER 7.0

12. Importing fixed field size data in MS SQL Server 7

13. Database Device Size in MS SQL Server