Help! [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

Help! [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

Post by Aaron N. Cutshal » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 03:29:23

I have a linked server to a Progress database.  If I execute a query that takes more than about 2 minutes to execute, I get the above error.  I have searched the SQL Books Online and it makes reference to a non-existent Tools->Options->Data Tools->Data View option.

Any suggestions???

========================
Aaron N. Cutshall
========================

Help! [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

Post by George Mas » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 06:32:29

Aaron,

        Which version of SQL Server are you using, and what are you using to run
the query?

Thanks,

George Mason

Microsoft SQL Server Support

Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, please state the version of SQL Server being used and the
error number/exact error message text received, if any.

reserved.

Help! [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

Post by Terry Denha » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 08:46:44

Ok, based on the error, since this is coming from the SQL Server driver, in
the application that is calling SQL Server are you specifying the
CommandTimeout, the default should be 0 which is no timeout.

You can also check the sp_configure value on SQL Server and look at the
"remote query timeout" value. The default is 0, which is no timeout. If this
value has changed then you can get this error.

Also check the linked server properties. Check the Progress driver to see if
there is a default value for query / command timeout.

Some things to troubleshoot the problem.

1. Can you reproduce the error by logging into SQL Server using Query
Analyzer and running select * from my_linked_progress_database. If the
problem occurs here then I would check the SQL Server sp_configure values or
the Progress driver for any default values.

2. If the problem does not happen with Query Analyzer then it is caused by
the client application settings. What database access technology are you
using to connect to SQL Server (ADO, RDO, ODBC, OLEDB). I seem to remember
that some of these technologies had different default command timeout
values.

Terry

Help! [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

Post by Aaron N. Cutshal » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 11:17:27

I appreciate everyone's help.  I've determined that the issue was in the Query Editor. I was able to take the identical query, run it in the Query Analyzer (it took over 3 minutes to run) and it was just fine.  Apparently, there's a built-in 30 second limit that cannot be changed.  If I run it in QA or via a VB program, it's OK.  Go figure!!

========================
Aaron N. Cutshall

========================

1. Microsoft SQL Server Login-Connection Failed-Microsoft ODBC Driver-Timeout Expired

I am writing in hopes that someone will be able to help me solve a problem
which occurs randomly.  I was searching Microsoft's Knowledge Base and did
not find much information to help me (Appendix A, ODBC Error Codes lists the
error, but does not give enough information for potential solutions.

The error message received is:  Microsoft SQL Server Login - Connection
Failed - Microsoft ODBC Driver - Timeout Expired.

The server computer where the error is occurring is running Windows 98, with
a Celeron 500 processor with 192 mg RAM; its 8 gig hard drive has 6 gigs of
free space.  We're also running MSDE (Microsoft SQL-DMF Server Service
Manager, version 7.00.623), with the MSSQLServer running (and set to
auto-start the service when the operating system starts).

I can not replicate this error but it is happening frequently enough to be
causing operational difficulties.   I am not sure where to look next...

Any assistance you may be able to provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

2. Accent insensitive and fulltext

3. SQL 2000 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

4. isql output format

5. java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

6. IS MSDE SP3 A FULL INSTALL?

7. ?[microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout expired

8. creating MS Excel files on the fly

9. S1T00: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout Expired

10. Warning State: S1T00,Native:0, Origin: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] timeout expired

11. Status no 2147217871 (Microsoft) (ODBC SQL SERVER DRIVER) timeout expired

12. Microsoft ODBC SQL Server Driver Timeout Expired

13. Microsoft ODBC SQL Server Driver Timeout expired