Giving Error While Doing BULK INSERT

Post by Sweta Sama » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:07:51

I am getting the same error again & again while I try to do bulk insert.
The error is-
Could not bulk insert because file 'c:\epbx\sweta\test.txt' could not be
opened. Operating system error code 3(The system cannot find the path
specified.).

The file path is correct, yet when i exceute the Bulk Insert Statement
in the query analyzer it gives the above error.

Giving Error While Doing BULK INSERT

Post by Dennis Redfiel » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:29:39

Usually, this type of error is seen when the path refers to a different
computer than the CPU upon which the BCP is running.  Try replacing the
absolute path with a UNC reference and see if the problem is resolved.
Hope This Helps.

Quote:> I am getting the same error again & again while I try to do bulk insert.
> The error is-
> Could not bulk insert because file 'c:\epbx\sweta\test.txt' could not be
> opened. Operating system error code 3(The system cannot find the path
> specified.).

> The file path is correct, yet when i exceute the Bulk Insert Statement
> in the query analyzer it gives the above error.

Giving Error While Doing BULK INSERT

Post by Chris Skorlinski ( » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 04:59:13

Is the  'c:\epbx\sweta\test.txt' files stored on your computer or on the
SQL Servers?  Since the command is being run on SQL Server, the server
needs to find this file.  If you need the server to find the file on your
computer, then as suggested, replace the file path with
\\yourcomputer\sharedfolder\test.txt

Hope this helps,

Chris Skorlinski, MCDBA
Microsoft SQL Server Support

1. Error 7399 with OLE DB provider doing Bulk Insert

Getting a very strange error using Bulk Insert.  When performing a bulk
insert on a table I get Error 7399 OLE DB provider STREAM reported an error.
But it gives me no more error information.  By making my table smaller and
adding more columns until I get the error I discovered that the problem
occurs on the first column that I add that has a defualt value associated
with it (in this case a column defined as decimal(9,4) default 0).  Since
the problem surfaced on a column with a default value I took a chance an
changed my bulk insert statement to have the keepnulls option on the
statement.  Now the bulk insert works!  I don't understand why??  The data
in my file has values for this problem column so it isn't a problem in this
case but what happens in the future if I do want the default values to be
used if there are none in the file??  Any help would sure be appreciated.
    Thanks,
         Wayne

2. Help: my gotfocus event isn't firing!!!

3. Error when bulk insert follows another large bulk insert

4. Omniback with RMAN

5. Eliminate logging while doing Bulk Insert

6. Method Prepare Sql Command : error from .NET beta to RTM

7. While doing Bulk insert temp is getting full

8. SQL, VBScript and apostrophe problem

9. BULK insert not giving sequential IDENTITY numbers to a field

10. Problem in doing bulk inserts thru ODBC API calls

11. Bulk Delete (as opposed to Bulk Insert)

12. BULK INSERT or BULK COPY

13. Bulk Insert / Bulk copy