[dbnmpntw]Connection Open (CreateFile)) error 4 ???

[dbnmpntw]Connection Open (CreateFile)) error 4 ???

Post by Helen C. O'Boyl » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Help!  More RAM was added to a SQL Server machine, taking it from 64 meg to 256,
and NOW clients which accessed the DB with no problem before the RAM upgrade,
get the following:

Connection Failed:
SQL State: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 240
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][dbnmpntw]Connection Open (CreateFile()).
Connection Failed:
SQLState: '08001'
SQL Server Errror: 4
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][dbnmpntw]Connection broken.

Another error symptom is that although the tool has defined a connect string
with user and pass, the system re-asks for the user/pass information after a
long hang.

These clients are a 3rd party development tool accessing SQL Server through
ODBC.

What's worse, is that initially after this upgrade, NO clients could access the
SQL Server database.  The sysadmin then upgraded her personal machine from
100mhz (like all other machines) to 233mhz, and now she OFTEN (but not always)
CAN access the SQL Server data without an error.  Still, no other users on
slower machines can.  And worst of all, Access has no problem seeing the SQL
Server tables.  So, there's something this 3rd party tool is doing, differently
from APPX, that's not working.

Ideas?  I've only been able to get as far as "the named pipe is disconnecting"
and there might be some issue with too many open files (Error: 4).

HELP???!!!

* Helen *

[dbnmpntw]Connection Open (CreateFile)) error 4 ???

Post by Henrik Adolfsson Guid » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:>[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][dbnmpntw]Connection Open (CreateFile()).

As you can see, you are using named pipes as communication means (that
is what dbnmpntw stands for). I would recommend you to try some of the
other communication dll's and see if there's a difference. Try the TCP/IP one.
What you have do to is first to run setup on your SQLServer. Check TCP/IP
support on the "Check network support".

You also have to make your odbc-clients use the dbmnssocn.dll by either
change network dll in the configuration for the odbc or to use the client setup
program.

Net-Library Windows NT or Windows 95
Named Pipes           DBNMPNTW.DLL
NWLink IPX/SPX    DBMSSPXN.DLL
Banyan VINES         DBMSVINN.DLL
TCP/IP Sockets        DBMSSOCN.DLL
Multi-Protocol          DBMSRPCN.DLL

Hope this help. I had a similar problem when using NT on a Novell network.

/Henrik

Henrik Adolfsson
Guide Konsult AB

> Hi,

> Help!  More RAM was added to a SQL Server machine, taking it from 64 meg to 256,
> and NOW clients which accessed the DB with no problem before the RAM upgrade,
> get the following:

> Connection Failed:
> SQL State: '01000'
> SQL Server Error: 240
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][dbnmpntw]Connection Open (CreateFile()).
> Connection Failed:
> SQLState: '08001'
> SQL Server Errror: 4
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][dbnmpntw]Connection broken.

> Another error symptom is that although the tool has defined a connect string
> with user and pass, the system re-asks for the user/pass information after a
> long hang.

> These clients are a 3rd party development tool accessing SQL Server through
> ODBC.

> What's worse, is that initially after this upgrade, NO clients could access the
> SQL Server database.  The sysadmin then upgraded her personal machine from
> 100mhz (like all other machines) to 233mhz, and now she OFTEN (but not always)
> CAN access the SQL Server data without an error.  Still, no other users on
> slower machines can.  And worst of all, Access has no problem seeing the SQL
> Server tables.  So, there's something this 3rd party tool is doing, differently
> from APPX, that's not working.

> Ideas?  I've only been able to get as far as "the named pipe is disconnecting"
> and there might be some issue with too many open files (Error: 4).

> HELP???!!!

> Thanks,
> --
> * Helen *

1. [dbnmpntw]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()). Error

I am running IIS 3.0 and when I access my datasource through an idc file, I
get the following error:

?[State=08001][Error=1385][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server
Driver][dbnmpntw]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).
?[State=01000][Error=1385][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server
Driver][dbnmpntw]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).

(I am running SQL 6.5 on the same machine as IIS)

The IDC file is as follows:

Datasource: Guest (Note: This dsn works via MS Query so that's set up OK)
Username: sa
Password:
Expires: 2
Template: view.htx
SQLStatement:
+SELECT DISTINCT Counter, FirstName, LastName, Company, Email, Homepage,
Comment
+FROM Guests
+ORDER BY Guests.Counter DESC;

I presume there is some sort of permission or user name problem between IIS
and SQL, but I haven't had any luck finding exactly what. Any ideas?

2. Sql7 And Access97/2000

3. Error: [DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()) ???

4. Listener problem

5. RAISERRO (14152,'08001[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][dbnmpntw]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()))

6. Free Record Chains

7. connection error [DBNMPNTW]

8. Access Query to SQL statement

9. Run Time Error '-2147467259 (80004005)': [DBNMPNTW] Connection Broken

10. Can't register SQL servers, weird error: Client unable to establish connection ConnectionOpen (CreateFile())

11. Connection Fail after installation - dbnmpntw write() connection fail

12. error CONNECTION FAILED ( CONNECTION OPEN (CREATEDFILE())