problem with OLE Automation

Post by Hilary Cotte » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:11:59

I am trying to do spellchucking with sql using word to do
the checkign.  The code works great - the only problem is
everytime I run it it does not destroy the word
application it creates.

Basically here is a sample vbs script that illustrates
what I am doing

Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
objWord.Quit
set objWord=nothing

I check task manager and after the vbs script runs the
winword application closes.

now the sql version. If you run this you need Word on your

BEGIN

END

test just closing it right away - winword remains active
in task manager

BEGIN

END

problem with OLE Automation

Post by oj » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:21:03

hilary,

obj.quit -- this method was not called.

-oj

> I am trying to do spellchucking with sql using word to do
> the checkign.  The code works great - the only problem is
> everytime I run it it does not destroy the word
> application it creates.

> Basically here is a sample vbs script that illustrates
> what I am doing

> Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
> objWord.Quit
> set objWord=nothing

> I check task manager and after the vbs script runs the
> winword application closes.

> now the sql version. If you run this you need Word on your

> BEGIN

> END

> test just closing it right away - winword remains active
> in task manager

> BEGIN

> END

problem with OLE Automation

Post by Hilary Cotte » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 04:23:45

I had considered that, but you don't have to call it in
the vbscript and it cleans up fine.  Its just in SQL
Server that I have the problem.

although I

OUTPUT

>> BEGIN

>> END

>> test just closing it right away - winword remains active
>> in task manager

>> BEGIN

>> END

>.

problem with OLE Automation

Post by buskir » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 07:14:12

There are other problems you may encounter. You must scrupulously avoid
situations where Word will want to display a message box, for example before
closing without saving. You must force a close with the no save option
before quitting, or Word will balk.

1. Mintaka - Problems with OLE Automation of VB4

Hi Jorge:

It could be one of several things. I would suggest loading the
Windows Help from the start button and search on "sharing".
This will bring up several issues. Start with enabling file and
printer sharing on your computer. Be sure to click on the
Related Topics button after reading each help subject if there
is one. They will lead you to more of what your problem is.

Basically, I think you are primarily missing file sharing. I has
to be setup in the Dial Up Network and also you have to assign
permissions to each folder you want to give permission to. All of
this is available in the help that I am refering you too.

If you need more specific help. Email

Jim Huguley

* Those who sit and think *
* Mostly sit              *

2. Indiana - Senior Oracle Programmer/Analyst

3. Problem with OLE Automation object in SPROC

4. sp_OACreate problem

5. OLE automation in VB4 -- strange problems?

6. does SQl 7.0 runs on win2000Pro

7. OLE Automation Problems - MEMORY HOG (Memory Leak?)

8. Ctrl-Z's appearing in Clipper/dBase .DBF's

9. Problem: OLE automation server can't create object

10. Problems with DATE in OLE automation!

11. OLE-Automation problem with Progress V8.2b and MSWord97

12. Save to New version : problem with VBA and Excel OLE Automation