Various newbie questions

Post by Paul Ecclest » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:09:42

Hi Everyone

A few questions if you don't mind....

.  Can I rename a cube?  I know I can do SAVE AS, but once I've given
the cube a new name I have to reprocess again (which takes a while
with my cube).  It would be great if I could rename and not have to
reprocess

.  It appears that the analysis manager uses a lot of CPU & Memory on
the PC (my PC is not the analysis server).  Is that normal?  Would a
better CLIENT PC (more memory/CPU) help the cubes performance?  I
could I guess run the manager on the server thru terminal services if
that would be better?

.  Is their a way to calculate the aggregations and then process the
cube in one step, rather than having to wait for the aggregations
levels to be calculated and then I have to click NEXT>  (I'm going for
100% performance aggregations)

Thanks in advance
Paul

Various newbie questions

Post by Tom Cheste » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:27:20

See answers interspersed...

   www.tomchester.net

Quote:> .  Can I rename a cube?

      No.

Quote:> .  It appears that the analysis manager uses a lot of CPU & Memory on
> the PC (my PC is not the analysis server).  Is that normal?

    Yes.

Quote:> Would a
> better CLIENT PC (more memory/CPU) help the cubes performance?

    You're mixing topics here, but yes, more memory on client can help a
lot.

Quote:> could I guess run the manager on the server thru terminal services if
> that would be better?

   Sure, this is common.

Quote:> .  Is their a way to calculate the aggregations and then process the
> cube in one step, rather than having to wait for the aggregations
> levels to be calculated and then I have to click NEXT>  (I'm going for
> 100% performance aggregations)

    This can be automated with DSO, though the calculation of the aggs
happens infrequently (in theory). Careful about that 100% though, the
general rule of thumb is stay in the 20-50% range. You achieve diminishing
returns when you agg 100%, and it's too bad the chart on the wizard
encourages over-aggregation.

1. Newbie has various SQL questions

Hello,

I am trying to develop an application that can connect to a SQL
database.
I am a newbie to SQL so please bare with me.

1)    Do I need SQL 7.0 Server installed on my network in order to
access a SQL database?  ie. Access 97 is not required to use an Access
97 database.  If not, then what do you use as the 'Server=' value in the
connection string?

2)    Is it possible to create a SQL database so that only my
application can access it?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Shaun Planiden

2. Need Help on Simple Query

3. Help! Newbie - Various questions

4. How to use TUpdateQuery

5. Arev 3.1 printing question

6. Newbie needs script help where various conditions should give same result

7. How to lock a record?

8. Various simple questions from a slight neophyte

9. Various questions

10. Various locking questions

11. Various advanced Paradox 7.0 questions

12. OLAP API Q: Various questions about dimensions, joins, and defaults