Simple Question...hopefully simple answer

Simple Question...hopefully simple answer

Post by David M. Gonde » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I set a record size to 100 characters in a SQL 6.5 table.  I now need to
increase the size.  What is the best/easiest way to accomplish this.

Thank you in advance.

David M. Gondek

Simple Question...hopefully simple answer

Post by John Woel » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I assume you really me a "field" size to 100.  The easiest way to accomplish
this is to upgrade to SQL 7.0!!!   I you stay with 6.5 you will have to
create a temporary table with you current data in it, the drop your current
table (Yikes!) and recreate it with the expanded size!!!

>I set a record size to 100 characters in a SQL 6.5 table.  I now need to
>increase the size.  What is the best/easiest way to accomplish this.

>Thank you in advance.

>David M. Gondek

Simple Question...hopefully simple answer

Post by Mikael Wedha » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Visual database tools will do that for you. (Comes with VB 5 Enterprise, for
one)

--
Mikael Wedham, Sweden
Please! No mail unless I ask for it.

>I assume you really me a "field" size to 100.  The easiest way to
accomplish
>this is to upgrade to SQL 7.0!!!   I you stay with 6.5 you will have to
>create a temporary table with you current data in it, the drop your current
>table (Yikes!) and recreate it with the expanded size!!!

>>I set a record size to 100 characters in a SQL 6.5 table.  I now need to
>>increase the size.  What is the best/easiest way to accomplish this.

>>Thank you in advance.

>>David M. Gondek

Simple Question...hopefully simple answer

Post by Wayne Snyde » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

In sql 6.5

you will have to rename the table...

create a new table (with the old name) changing the column that you want..

insert into newtable select * from oldtable...

you will also have to
1. recreate the indexes, views, etc.
2. drop and recreate all of the sp's, and triggers.
3. be sure to re-apply all permissions...

It is kind of a pain in sql 6.5, but you can do it... Third pary tools (like
Embarcadero's DBArtisan) also make this quite easy.... Sql 7.0 also offers
better support for this kind of thing.

--
Wayne Snyder MCSE, MCT, SQL Server MVP
IKON Technology Services, C*te, NC Education

1. HELP! simple question need simple answer

hello...

I am really bad at databases and VB5...
All I want to do is to add or remove a record from the current recordset.

The code "Data1.Recordset.AddNew" adds an empty record to the recordset...
but I'm not sure how to change what record is to be entered!

Please help. Thanks!

2. Help with Backup Server

3. SQL7, SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE question

4. error: Undefined package 'sql'

5. Simple labels problem...Simple answer??

6. Validating Windows Logon Information

7. hopefully simple insert question

8. v7 v8i syntax

9. Hopefully a simple beginner ado question???

10. Hopefully Simple Grid Question

11. Hopefully Simple Execute Question

12. (Hopefully) simple questions

13. Hopefully simple question