Remote access not allowed for Windows NT user activated by SETUSER

Remote access not allowed for Windows NT user activated by SETUSER

Post by Your Nam » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

I have setup a job in SQL Server 7.0 that executes a stored procedure. The
sp talks to a remote SQL server. When I execute the stored procedure
manually in Query Analyzer, it works beautifully. But when the sp is called
from within a job, it gives me this error message when I select * from
sysjobhistory:

"Remote access not allowed for Windows NT user activated by SETUSER
[SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 7410)"

Aside from the NT user account used by the SQL Agent service, there is no NT
user account associated with this process. I have the Linked server security
mapped to a SQL account and sa owns the job.

Appreciate any and all helpful feedback.
Thx

Remote access not allowed for Windows NT user activated by SETUSER

Post by Tibor Karasz » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

I'd guess that this is because the owner of the job doesn't have sysadmin
permissions. I'd check the job definitions.

--
Tibor Karaszi, Cornerstone Sweden AB
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> I have setup a job in SQL Server 7.0 that executes a stored procedure. The
> sp talks to a remote SQL server. When I execute the stored procedure
> manually in Query Analyzer, it works beautifully. But when the sp is
called
> from within a job, it gives me this error message when I select * from
> sysjobhistory:

> "Remote access not allowed for Windows NT user activated by SETUSER
> [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 7410)"

> Aside from the NT user account used by the SQL Agent service, there is no
NT
> user account associated with this process. I have the Linked server
security
> mapped to a SQL account and sa owns the job.

> Appreciate any and all helpful feedback.
> Thx

Remote access not allowed for Windows NT user activated by SETUSER

Post by Your Nam » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Ok, I'm answering my own question. But it was Tibor's reponse that got me to
thinking in the right direction:

The problem was on the Steps tab of the job. If you click on the step you
wish to edit, go to the Advanced tab, at the bottom, there is a parameter
called "Run as User" This was set to the NT user account who created the
job. I set it to 'self' and it used the job owner (sa) to run the procedure.
Everything works fine.

I've been trying to figure this out (off and on) for 2 weeks now. I think
I'll take the rest of the day off! :)

Quote:> I have setup a job in SQL Server 7.0 that executes a stored procedure. The
> sp talks to a remote SQL server. When I execute the stored procedure
> manually in Query Analyzer, it works beautifully. But when the sp is
called
> from within a job, it gives me this error message when I select * from
> sysjobhistory:

> "Remote access not allowed for Windows NT user activated by SETUSER
> [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 7410)"

> Aside from the NT user account used by the SQL Agent service, there is no
NT
> user account associated with this process. I have the Linked server
security
> mapped to a SQL account and sa owns the job.

> Appreciate any and all helpful feedback.
> Thx

1. Remote access not allowed for Windows NT user activated by SETUSER

I am absolutely stumped on this one.

I have a scheduled job that has a single T-SQL step which executes a
procedure on the local SQL Server. The stored proc makes a remote procedure
call to a stored proc on another server, which itself makes a remote
procedure call to yet another stored proc. I created a standard SQL login
(call it X for the sake of argument) on each of the SQL Servers (with
identical password on each), and set up the linked servers accordingly (I
chose to explicitly map X with the impersonate option for each linked server
1:1). I gave execute permissions to X for each stored proc on each server,
and tested it by logging into Query Analyzer as X and executing the "root"
stored proc. BUT, when I try to execute the scheduled job (which does the
exact same thing), it fails with:

Remote access not allowed for Windows NT user activated by SETUSER

I have tried right-clicking the job and choosing "start job", as well as
scheduling it normally, but no difference.

The SQL Agent is running under an NT domain account with local admin
privileges. I have tried setting the owner to "X", "sa", "domain\sqlsvc",
etc AND played with the "run as user" option under the advanced tab of the
job step definition in EM, but with no luck. What am I doing wrong and/or
misunderstanding? Do I have to set up remote access for the account under
which SQL Agent is running? I would like to limit the security exposure if
possible, which is why I created a login that basically can do nothing more
than execute this simple, cross-server administrative task.

Please help! We are in crunch mode here.

Thanks,
Darren

2. SQL Insert Into

3. Oracle/Sybase developers in NY Area

4. Remote access not allowed for Windows NT user.

5. Serious Performance problem in Oracle PL/SQL Cursor.

6. What is the best way to drop and recreate a pull merge subscription on a remote laptop?

7. Windows NT User activated by SETUSER error

8. Remote access not allowed for Windows NT user activated by SETUSER. [SQLSTATE 42

9. NT SP3 does not allow creation of named database on remote server