Transfer SQL database

Post by Lin M » Sat, 17 May 2003 19:04:18

Hello,

I need to transfer SQL 2000 DB to another server.

In the new SQL server, I first create a database. Then I use "Export Data"
in the EM to transfer the database tables.

I find out that all the keys, autonumbers, default values in the tables are
missing .

Is there a way to keep these during the DB transformation? Otherwise I have
to go though every fields...

Thanks,

Lin

Transfer SQL database

Post by Curt » Sat, 17 May 2003 19:28:25

See sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db in Books OnLine.  Note:
You must have all users out of the database before you can
do this.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hello,

>I need to transfer SQL 2000 DB to another server.

>In the new SQL server, I first create a database. Then I
use "Export Data"
>in the EM to transfer the database tables.

>I find out that all the keys, autonumbers, default values
in the tables are
>missing .

>Is there a way to keep these during the DB

transformation? Otherwise I have
Quote:>to go though every fields...

>Thanks,

>Lin

>.

Transfer SQL database

Post by Lin M » Sat, 17 May 2003 20:55:46

Thank Curt. A great help.

Lin

Quote:> See sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db in Books OnLine.  Note:
> You must have all users out of the database before you can
> do this.

Transfer SQL database

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Sun, 18 May 2003 02:13:29

Here are some other links that may be of interest as well:

http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=314546     Moving DB's between Servers
http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=246133     How To Transfer Logins and
Passwords Between SQL Servers
http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=298897    Mapping Logins & SIDs after a
Restore
http://www.dbmaint.com/SyncSqlLogins.asp         Utility to map logins to
users
http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=168001     User Logon and/or Permission
Errors After Restoring Dump
http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=240872    How to Resolve Permission
Issues When a Database Is Moved Between SQL Servers

http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=224071     Moving SQL Server Databases
to a New Location with Detach/Attach

--

Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hello,

> I need to transfer SQL 2000 DB to another server.

> In the new SQL server, I first create a database. Then I use "Export Data"
> in the EM to transfer the database tables.

> I find out that all the keys, autonumbers, default values in the tables
are
> missing .

> Is there a way to keep these during the DB transformation? Otherwise I
have
> to go though every fields...

> Thanks,

> Lin

Transfer SQL database

Post by Lin M » Tue, 20 May 2003 17:41:34

Hi Andrew,

Cool...

Thanks for the help.

Lin

> Here are some other links that may be of interest as well:

> http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=314546     Moving DB's between
Servers
> http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=246133     How To Transfer Logins and
> Passwords Between SQL Servers
> http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=298897    Mapping Logins & SIDs after
> Restore
> http://www.dbmaint.com/SyncSqlLogins.asp         Utility to map logins to
> users
> http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=168001     User Logon and/or
Permission
> Errors After Restoring Dump
> http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=240872    How to Resolve Permission
> Issues When a Database Is Moved Between SQL Servers

> http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=224071     Moving SQL Server
Databases
> to a New Location with Detach/Attach

> --

> Andrew J. Kelly
> SQL Server MVP

> > Hello,

> > I need to transfer SQL 2000 DB to another server.

> > In the new SQL server, I first create a database. Then I use "Export
Data"
> > in the EM to transfer the database tables.

> > I find out that all the keys, autonumbers, default values in the tables
> are
> > missing .

> > Is there a way to keep these during the DB transformation? Otherwise I
> have
> > to go though every fields...

> > Thanks,

> > Lin

1. Transfer SQL Database...Is it possible?

I have a customer that wants to transfer their current SQL database to our
hosting facility...I am unsure of how to export/import this...is there a
way?  Or do we have to redo the database by hand...There is alot of customer
and product information that the customer would rather not lose...The only
solution I know is to redo the SQL database...Am I correct at assuming this?

Thanks,

Shane Metzler

2. Changes affecting the JDBC archive

3. Transfer SQL database to new server

4. Paradox tables from VB

5. Transferring SQL database to another Organisation

6. ODBC Timeout expired '80040e31'

7. Transfer SQL Databases??

8. Schedule DTS failure on Encryption

9. Transferring SQL Database to DB2

10. Transfer Database doesn't transfer stored procedure and triggers

11. transferring databases from sql 7 to sql 2000

12. Transfer a single database from SQL 6.5 to SQL 7.0

13. SQL 7.0 to SQL 7.0 database transfer?