Newbie - need to schedule e-mail alerts

Post by Gordon Youn » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,

I want to periodically check for certain values in a database attached to a
web site, and send email when such values are found.  So, two questions...

1.  I can write a simple query to return rows with the values... but how do
I set it up to execute automatically on a daily schedule?

2.  What's the best way (or what ways are available) to automate the
creation and sending of email messages from within a SQL 7 process?  At
times, I may need to send messages to one person, other times, I may have to
send similar (or customized) messages to potentially large numbers of
recipients.

TIA,

Gordon Young

Newbie - need to schedule e-mail alerts

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Gordon,

    You can write create a job that executes a stored procedure on what ever
schedule you like. Within the SP you need to check for you condition(s) and
then you can use xp_sendmail to send the results to whom ever you like. Take
a look at JOBS and XP_SENDMAIL in booksonline.

Andy

Quote:> Hi All,

> I want to periodically check for certain values in a database attached to
> web site, and send email when such values are found.  So, two questions...

> 1.  I can write a simple query to return rows with the values... but how
do
> I set it up to execute automatically on a daily schedule?

> 2.  What's the best way (or what ways are available) to automate the
> creation and sending of email messages from within a SQL 7 process?  At
> times, I may need to send messages to one person, other times, I may have
> send similar (or customized) messages to potentially large numbers of
> recipients.

> TIA,

> Gordon Young

1. Has anyone used the mail feature to do scheduled emails

I'm trying to make an SP to select all of the email addresses and sent each
a welcome letter at the end of the day.  I've tried using the xp_sendmail
to do it, but I keep getting a MAPI login failure and I'm not sure what's
causing it.

If you could email me directly that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
--
Andrea Williams
VP Operations

www.getfreestuff.com -- Internet Advertising that Works!TM

2. Paradox for Dos 4.0 event trigger problems?

3. Oracle Newbie needs mail function

4. Newbie with ADO/SQL Server 2000 mystery

5. Newbie needs SQL Mail Help

6. export contents into a file w/o using export

7. Creating Alerts to send Email

8. Alert problem - no email response

9. Email alert trigger error

10. SQL Server 7.0 Email Alerts w/o Outlook or Exchange

11. Email alert when blocked for more than 2 minutes

12. Alerting user over Email