Stupid Beginner Question?

Post by Phil Pipe » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

This is probably an easy question to answer, but I don't know where to
start.
I've just arranged with my internet provider for them to set up an SQL
Server database in my NT webspace.
They've given me a username and password, and they've told me what the
server name is.
But where do I go from there?
When I asked them they told me I need some SQL client software to
connect to and manage my database via TCP/IP.
So does anyone know where I can get some SQL client software for Windows
95 that will allow me to do this stuff?

Thanks.
Phil Piper

Stupid Beginner Question?

Post by Richard Waymir » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

They're on the SQL Server CD, so you'd need to get ahold of it (or have
network access to the CD) to install the tools.

--
Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE+Internet, MCSD

Quote:> This is probably an easy question to answer, but I don't know where to
> start.
> I've just arranged with my internet provider for them to set up an SQL
> Server database in my NT webspace.
> They've given me a username and password, and they've told me what the
> server name is.
> But where do I go from there?
> When I asked them they told me I need some SQL client software to
> connect to and manage my database via TCP/IP.
> So does anyone know where I can get some SQL client software for Windows
> 95 that will allow me to do this stuff?

> Thanks.
> Phil Piper

1. VB3/Access 2.0 Stupid Beginner Question

At a glance I can see that you need an error handler for this line of
code when you have an empty table.

dtaTotalCards.Recordset.MoveFirst

An ON ERROR RESUME NEXT would do.

if err then
   err=0
end if

I wouldn't worry about counting the number of records in the table.  The
error statement would do this.

If you really need a count then you could do this with the following
statement:

SELECT table.field1, count(table.field1) AS aliasfield
FROM table
WHERE table.field2=value
GROUP BY table.field1

--
Alexander Medwedew
Computer Ventures, Inc.

http://tribeca.ios.com/~compvent/
CADVANCE LITE - Affordable CAD Software
http://tribeca.ios.com/~compvent/cadvlite.html

2. client install problem

3. SQL Quiery times using MASDO26 increased 7000 percent compaired to MSDAO 20 or 15

4. Database Problems (Beginner's stupid questions)

5. ***VA-TECHNICAL TRAINERS NEEDED***

6. (Stupid?) Question (Beginner)

7. admin-tools only at win95?

8. Stupid answers to stupid questions?

9. Newbie question ( certainly stupid question)

10. dbComboBox question -- (question from a beginner)

11. General Applet - Database Security Question -> beginner question

12. Stupid guy and stupid problem