SQL 7 Group Security and Predefined NT Groups

SQL 7 Group Security and Predefined NT Groups

Post by John Have » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

We are attempting to test SQL Server 7.0 security and it seems that you
can't add an NT predefined group (such as Domain Users) to SQL Server's
roles and then get the permissions in the database to work.  This does
appear to work, however, with new groups we create in NT.

Can anyone verify this or point us to documentation that states this?

Thanks, John

SQL 7 Group Security and Predefined NT Groups

Post by Tibor Bir » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

John,

Did you try to add the group <DOMAINNAME>\Domain Users and didn't work? It
works for me. If the group is local to the SQL server use <SERVERNAME>\Users
or, if the server is a domain controller use BUILTIN\Users

Regards,

Tibor Biro

Quote:> We are attempting to test SQL Server 7.0 security and it seems that you
> can't add an NT predefined group (such as Domain Users) to SQL Server's
> roles and then get the permissions in the database to work.  This does
> appear to work, however, with new groups we create in NT.

> Can anyone verify this or point us to documentation that states this?

> Thanks, John

1. Remapping/Copying SQL Logins from NT Local Groups to Domain Global Groups

Hello all,

We are moving from our databases NT4/SQLServer7 to W2K/SQLServer2K, on
 new hardware.  In our NT4/SQLServer7 environment we used Local Server
Groups mapped to sql logins for authentication.  In the SQLServer2K
world we would like to use Domain Local Groups mapped to sql logins
for authentication.

Is there a way (anyway - DMO,TSQL, or 3rd party tool) in sqlserver to
either:
1.) Remap the login accounts to NT doamin groups
    - or -
2.) Copy the permissions from one sql login to another sql login

so we do not have to manually repermissions the databases.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Mark Larsen

2. Generation of Random Number HELP

3. NT Only Security With NT Groups

4. Using a dts package to select from one DB and update another DB??????

5. SQL Server & NT Security Groups

6. D3NT Printing issue

7. SQL 6.5 security manager fail to enumerate global group members after NT upgrade to SP5

8. PowerBuilder to Informix Connectivity

9. NT/SQL Security Groups... Need suggestions

10. SQL Server Security: NT Groups

11. NT Groups and SQL Security Manager

12. SQL Server and NT Security Group SIDS

13. SQL Security versus NT Groups