dts error while loading empty fields from a text file

dts error while loading empty fields from a text file

Post by Guy Rafalovic » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 02:29:16

I got a weird problem
I'm using the "text file (Source)"  component to import information from
fixed length text file.
when the component encounter lines that are shorter then the expected
length, instead of failing, it fills the missing field places with number it
generates by itself, and doesn't fail package run.
if I open the file using odbc or excel the fields are empty and you can't
see anything in them

any idea ?

Guy Rafalovich

dts error while loading empty fields from a text file

Post by Guy Rafalovic » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:22:46

It took me a while to find the problem and

Finally I found a bug report in the msdn :

 http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q247/3/60.ASP

By the way these two bug reports seem to be incorrect, I have tried to
reproduce the situation and in both cases the text file was imported
including the last input line.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q251/1/19.ASP

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q241/7/61.ASP

Quote:> I got a weird problem
> I'm using the "text file (Source)"  component to import information from
> fixed length text file.
> when the component encounter lines that are shorter then the expected
> length, instead of failing, it fills the missing field places with number
it
> generates by itself, and doesn't fail package run.
> if I open the file using odbc or excel the fields are empty and you can't
> see anything in them

> any idea ?

> Guy Rafalovich

1. DTS package files on empty text file

Hi,

I have a simple dts package with one Text connection as source, a SQL server
connection as destination and the transform data task exports from text file
to SQL server table. In normal circumstances the DTS package works fine.
If text file is empty (no data), the DTS package file complaining about
missing columns in text file. Is there any workaround this?

Platform: SQL 2000 SP2

Thanks

2. Selamlar

3. DTS strange Error loading from text file

4. ... triggering scripts

6. Please explain this bufwait message

7. Empty Text Files with DTS Transforms

8. How can I view active SQL statements?

10. Problems with load text file in DTS

11. Use DTS to load text file