Unable to stop MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVERAGENT services

Unable to stop MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVERAGENT services

Post by Bob » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:47:46

When I attempt to stop the MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVERAGENT
the service suspends at "stopping" service and never does
stop the service. The Event logs show nothing. This
problem came up when I was attempting to install a agent
for APC PowerChute on our SQL Server, and the installing
of the Agent service just went into a suspended state.
Once again no event logs entries to give me a clue. Does
anyone have a clue as to why this might be happening?

Unable to stop MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVERAGENT services

Post by SQL Server Development Team [MSFT » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:56:29

Was it the APC agent that was trying to stop SQL, or did you try to stop it
before the install? How are you determining that the SQL Server service is
not stopped? It is possible that SQL is stopping but not updating the status
in SQL Server Manager or in Service Control Manager, or that there is
something occuring on the server that it's waiting for in order to stop the
service. Also, is this a one-time occurance or is it happening consistently?

Michelle & Milind

Quote:> When I attempt to stop the MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVERAGENT
> the service suspends at "stopping" service and never does
> stop the service. The Event logs show nothing. This
> problem came up when I was attempting to install a agent
> for APC PowerChute on our SQL Server, and the installing
> of the Agent service just went into a suspended state.
> Once again no event logs entries to give me a clue. Does
> anyone have a clue as to why this might be happening?

Unable to stop MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVERAGENT services

Post by Bob » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:25:15

I was in the process of installing the APC agent. Nothing
indicated that it was trying to stop SQL. It was requested
by the vendor to stop 3rd party software to see it would
allow the APC agent to install. I tried to stop McAfee's
NetShield with no success. So, because I had installed the
APC Agent on other servers with no problem, I thought this
server was different because it had SQL installed on it.
So, I tried to stop the service, which should normally not
be a problem, and it just indicated, after timing out, the
service was "stopping".  When I reboot all services start
without any problems. I have re-verified the service
login's as being correct. You indicate that the status was
not being updated in the SQL Server Manager or in the
Service Control Manger or that it waiting for something to
occur and holding up the service from completely stopping.
I have checked the task manager and notice nothing
running, 98% idle and no other time logged.  Is there
another someplace I can verify if the service is awaiting
a response?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Was it the APC agent that was trying to stop SQL, or did
you try to stop it
>before the install? How are you determining that the SQL
Server service is
>not stopped? It is possible that SQL is stopping but not
updating the status
>in SQL Server Manager or in Service Control Manager, or
that there is
>something occuring on the server that it's waiting for in
order to stop the
>service. Also, is this a one-time occurance or is it

happening consistently?

>Michelle & Milind

>--
confers no rights.
>Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
specified at
>http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.

>> When I attempt to stop the MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVERAGENT
>> the service suspends at "stopping" service and never
does
>> stop the service. The Event logs show nothing. This
>> problem came up when I was attempting to install a agent
>> for APC PowerChute on our SQL Server, and the installing
>> of the Agent service just went into a suspended state.
>> Once again no event logs entries to give me a clue. Does
>> anyone have a clue as to why this might be happening?

>.

Unable to stop MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVERAGENT services

Post by SQL Server Development Team [MSFT » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:36:04

Are you still experiencing the problem of not being able to stop SQL Server
after the reboot you described?

Thanks,
Corinna, Florian

> I was in the process of installing the APC agent. Nothing
> indicated that it was trying to stop SQL. It was requested
> by the vendor to stop 3rd party software to see it would
> allow the APC agent to install. I tried to stop McAfee's
> NetShield with no success. So, because I had installed the
> APC Agent on other servers with no problem, I thought this
> server was different because it had SQL installed on it.
> So, I tried to stop the service, which should normally not
> be a problem, and it just indicated, after timing out, the
> service was "stopping".  When I reboot all services start
> without any problems. I have re-verified the service
> login's as being correct. You indicate that the status was
> not being updated in the SQL Server Manager or in the
> Service Control Manger or that it waiting for something to
> occur and holding up the service from completely stopping.
> I have checked the task manager and notice nothing
> running, 98% idle and no other time logged.  Is there
> another someplace I can verify if the service is awaiting
> a response?

Post by Bob » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:53:48

Yes, I am still having the problem of not be able to stop
the MSSQLSEVER & SQLSERVERAGENT services after a fresh
boot or any of the many things I personally have come up
with as well as what other professionals have suggested.
The problem is still with me.

Bob

and
>> confers no rights.
>> >Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
>> specified at
>> >http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.

SQLSERVERAGENT
>> does
agent
installing
state.
Does

>> >.

>.

Unable to stop MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVERAGENT services

Post by SQL Server Development Team [MSFT » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:15:41

Have you tried stopping/uninstalling APC and NetShield to see if you could
get SQL Server to stop without those services?

Thanks,
Corinna, Florian

> I was in the process of installing the APC agent. Nothing
> indicated that it was trying to stop SQL. It was requested
> by the vendor to stop 3rd party software to see it would
> allow the APC agent to install. I tried to stop McAfee's
> NetShield with no success. So, because I had installed the
> APC Agent on other servers with no problem, I thought this
> server was different because it had SQL installed on it.
> So, I tried to stop the service, which should normally not
> be a problem, and it just indicated, after timing out, the
> service was "stopping".  When I reboot all services start
> without any problems. I have re-verified the service
> login's as being correct. You indicate that the status was
> not being updated in the SQL Server Manager or in the
> Service Control Manger or that it waiting for something to
> occur and holding up the service from completely stopping.
> I have checked the task manager and notice nothing
> running, 98% idle and no other time logged.  Is there
> another someplace I can verify if the service is awaiting
> a response?

1. MSSQLServer service stops randomly

Hello,

I am running SQLServer7.0 1063 (SP4)
It is on a cluster running IIS, etc...

I have this strange sequence of events that
somehow kills the service randomly. It all
starts with this event:

Source: SQLServerProfiler
Category: Internal Error
EventID: 998
Executable      : C:\MSSQL7\binn\sqlservr.exe
 Description    : Unable_To_Set_RegKey_Val
 Source : ..\..\..\..\src\eventlog.c
 Line   : 315

This event causes the SQLServer to restart, rolling
back/forward transactions and reseting services.
When the MSSQLServer starts, it gets this error:

Error: 17826, Severity: 18, State: 1
2002-10-21 08:34:51.94 ods      Could not set up ListenOn
connection '1433'..
Operating system error 10013., An attempt was made to
access a socket in a way forbidden by its access
permissions.

The Service runs as a local domain account with proper
"log on as a service" permissions set in the domain
group policy.

To fix this, I simply restart the service and everything
is OK. In the service properties, I tell it to restart
each time it fails (or run a script), but that doesn't
work either.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

David

2. Script help

3. MSSQLServer Service Stop

4. Can an HTML document be opened within a container field

5. MSSQLServer Service Sporadically Stops & Restarts

6. <ad> GUARANTEED CREDIT REPAIR BY LAW FIRM

7. Stopping remote MSSQLServer service

8. isnumeric()

9. MSSQLServer service stops randomly...

10. Service MSSQLSERVER could not be stopped

11. Trouble Starting and Stopping MSSQLSERVER Service

12. MSSQLServer service not stopping

13. MSSQLServer service stop/restart