How much memory Approx do I need on a NT Server

How much memory Approx do I need on a NT Server

Post by Corey Arnd » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I will be running a NT 4 Server with SQL Server 7 with 60 users on a 550 mhz
server.
How much memory will I need to run this server in the future say (5 years).
I am starting out with 512meg and would like to know how much total memory I
need in the future.
I might be adding exchange, proxy or sms in the future (2-3 years).
Thanks

How much memory Approx do I need on a NT Server

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Corey - it's impossible to say, but as memory will (probably) be even cheaper
every year I would stick with 512 and upgrade later if you need to

Quote:> I will be running a NT 4 Server with SQL Server 7 with 60 users on a 550 mhz
> server.
> How much memory will I need to run this server in the future say (5 years).
> I am starting out with 512meg and would like to know how much total memory I
> need in the future.
> I might be adding exchange, proxy or sms in the future (2-3 years).

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

How much memory Approx do I need on a NT Server

Post by Corey Arnd » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

What do you think the max should be in 3-5 years?
I am looking at a new server and one is the HP LHIII but it's max memory is
1 gig.  The Dell I am looking at will handle 2 gig.

How much memory Approx do I need on a NT Server

Post by Roch Magna » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

If you run or intend to run any other server intensive process (Exchange or
SMQ) on that machine, on top of SQL, try to get a motherboard that'll accept
up to 4 g RAM. You'll need it.

RM

>I will be running a NT 4 Server with SQL Server 7 with 60 users on a 550
mhz
>server.
>How much memory will I need to run this server in the future say (5 years).
>I am starting out with 512meg and would like to know how much total memory
>need in the future.
>I might be adding exchange, proxy or sms in the future (2-3 years).
>Thanks

How much memory Approx do I need on a NT Server

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Corey - depends on the app and load.  I've got 5 year old SQL Servers that
started with 32Mb ram and still have 32Mb ram.  So it depends

Quote:> What do you think the max should be in 3-5 years?
> I am looking at a new server and one is the HP LHIII but it's max memory is
> 1 gig.  The Dell I am looking at will handle 2 gig.

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

1. Optimizing VFP memory usage under NT Server - need help

I run VFP 5.0 on NT Server. The on-line documentation says that I should
reduce the amount of memory buffer size available to VFP by 1/3 by using
the following command in my config.fpw - file:

=SYS(3050, 1, VAL(SYS(3050, 1, 0)) / 3)

It seems to me that something is missing from this statement, like some
kind of variable to put this return value into?  When I try to use it,
absolutely nothing happens, i.e. the system reports the same memory
usage as before.

What am I/ the documentation/ both of us, missing?

2. Address/phone for "Open Universal Software" (OPEN/36) ?

3. Total Server Memory = Target Server Memory

4. Sybase FAQ: 8/16 - section 7

5. Meaning of SQL Server:Memory Manager / Target Server Memory object in Perfmon for sql7

6. SQL Executive

7. Max Server Memory and Min Server Memory

8. CAST to convert Expression to Money?

9. Foxpro Memory/NT Server

10. Newbie : necessary memory to run Windows NT and SQL server

11. Shared memory SQL Server library (DBMSSHRN) and NT?

12. Memory Requirements running Oracle 7.2 Server on NT 3.51

13. Btrieve Memory Leak on NT 4.0 Server?!?!?!