Help with importing SQL Server 7.0

Post by ana.. » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:02:35

Hi,

I need help!!!! I want to copy a database from one SQL Server 7.0 to
another.

Any ideas on how I do this???

Thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Help with importing SQL Server 7.0

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:55:31

There are several ways to do that. I prefer to do it though BACKUP and RESTORE.
Another option is by using sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
See Neil Pike's FAQ at: http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800

> Hi,

> I need help!!!! I want to copy a database from one SQL Server 7.0 to
> another.

> Any ideas on how I do this???

> Thanks in advance.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Help with importing SQL Server 7.0

Post by edmun » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:37:45

Hi Tibor,

I am trying to import a SQL server database copied from another SQL server.
I had try using both the method you advised however, both did not work.  For
the BACKUP and RESTORE, I did perform the BACKUP process but I was not able
to perform the RESTORE process on the target SQL server.

I also did try out sp_attach_db, unfortunately it fail the worst there is no
detail of why it fail.

Ed

Quote:> There are several ways to do that. I prefer to do it though BACKUP and
RESTORE.
> Another option is by using sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db.

> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.
> See Neil Pike's FAQ at:

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800

> > Hi,

> > I need help!!!! I want to copy a database from one SQL Server 7.0 to
> > another.

> > Any ideas on how I do this???

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Help with importing SQL Server 7.0

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:46:26

Ed,

The servers need to have the same character set, sort order and Unicode collation.
Other than that, it should work.
But we'd need more info (like statement you execute and exact error message) to
assist.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
See Neil Pike's FAQ at: http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800

> Hi Tibor,

> I am trying to import a SQL server database copied from another SQL server.
> I had try using both the method you advised however, both did not work.  For
> the BACKUP and RESTORE, I did perform the BACKUP process but I was not able
> to perform the RESTORE process on the target SQL server.

> I also did try out sp_attach_db, unfortunately it fail the worst there is no
> detail of why it fail.

> Ed

Help with importing SQL Server 7.0

Post by edmun » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:40:56

Hi Tibor,

I used the restore and backup database as shown in the Task menu.

The T-SQL statement is for the attach statement is

Regards,
Ed

Quote:> Ed,

> The servers need to have the same character set, sort order and Unicode
collation.
> Other than that, it should work.
> But we'd need more info (like statement you execute and exact error
message) to
> assist.

> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.
> See Neil Pike's FAQ at:

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800

Quote:> > Hi Tibor,

> > I am trying to import a SQL server database copied from another SQL
server.
> > I had try using both the method you advised however, both did not work.
For
> > the BACKUP and RESTORE, I did perform the BACKUP process but I was not
able
> > to perform the RESTORE process on the target SQL server.

> > I also did try out sp_attach_db, unfortunately it fail the worst there
is no
> > detail of why it fail.

> > Ed

Help with importing SQL Server 7.0

Post by Tibor Karasz » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 19:13:02

We still need the error message.
Also, try to do the restore from Query Analyzer (the right tab has some options that
are easier to find using the statement (MOVE and REPLACE)).

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
See Neil Pike's FAQ at: http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800

> Hi Tibor,

> I used the restore and backup database as shown in the Task menu.

> The T-SQL statement is for the attach statement is

> Regards,
> Ed

> > Ed,

> > The servers need to have the same character set, sort order and Unicode
> collation.
> > Other than that, it should work.
> > But we'd need more info (like statement you execute and exact error
> message) to
> > assist.

> > --
> > Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> > Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.
> > See Neil Pike's FAQ at:
> http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800

> > > Hi Tibor,

> > > I am trying to import a SQL server database copied from another SQL
> server.
> > > I had try using both the method you advised however, both did not work.
> For
> > > the BACKUP and RESTORE, I did perform the BACKUP process but I was not
> able
> > > to perform the RESTORE process on the target SQL server.

> > > I also did try out sp_attach_db, unfortunately it fail the worst there
> is no
> > > detail of why it fail.

> > > Ed

1. importing a SQL Server 7.0 database to a SQL Server 7.0 database

Hi All,
    I am new to SQL Server and Windows in general. I was given what is
supposed to be a SQL Server 7.0 database on a cd. The only file on the
cd is named databasename.db. I have read and reread the BOL and the
SAM SQL Server book and I can't find a reference to a .db file type
nor can I get SQL Server to import the file. I don't think that it was
a bulk copy or a bcp. I also don't have the option of asking the
file's creator since he is no longer available. So am I missing
something basic or is the file junk. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Clarion -> Oracle??

3. Help! Importing Text Data into SQL Server 7.0

4. Thursday VFUG Internet Chat

5. Import logins from SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 7.0

6. DBGrid WordWrap

7. Importing SQL Server 7.0 database to SQL Server 2000

8. User Security Tables

9. Import files from Web server to SQL Server 7.0

10. SQL Server 7.0 -Importing backups on different servers

11. SQL Server 7.0 on NT Server to SQL Server 7.0 on win2k Pro