starting master db in single user mode

Post by Alliso » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I would like to restore the master database.  Is the only way to put it in
single mode is to do "sqlservr.exe -m" at the dos prompt? It seemed to be
taking a long time to start the server when it only takes seconds to do it
in the GUI.  Any ideas on this?  (It stopped giving any output and the
prompt just blinked for awhile but was not completed doing whatever it was
doing).

Thanks,
Allison

starting master db in single user mode

Post by Wayne Snyde » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

When you go into the command line and start sql server with the -m ( or
any or even no params), the log messages are returned to you at the
command line.... When the messages stop, the server is up and
running... and you are cool to begin your restore... It is not hung
up... it is actually waiting for work to do... When you close the
command line window, SQL will shut down...

HTH

Quote:> Hi,

--
Wayne Snyder MCSE, MCDBA, MCT, SQL SERVER MVP
IKON Education Services, C*te, NC

Before you buy.

starting master db in single user mode

Post by Alliso » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

thanks!

> When you go into the command line and start sql server with the -m ( or
> any or even no params), the log messages are returned to you at the
> command line.... When the messages stop, the server is up and
> running... and you are cool to begin your restore... It is not hung
> up... it is actually waiting for work to do... When you close the
> command line window, SQL will shut down...

> HTH

> > Hi,
> > I would like to restore the master database.  Is the only way to put
> it in
> > single mode is to do "sqlservr.exe -m" at the dos prompt? It seemed
> to be
> > taking a long time to start the server when it only takes seconds to
> do it
> > in the GUI.  Any ideas on this?  (It stopped giving any output and the
> > prompt just blinked for awhile but was not completed doing whatever
> it was
> > doing).

> > Thanks,
> > Allison

> --
> Wayne Snyder MCSE, MCDBA, MCT, SQL SERVER MVP
> IKON Education Services, C*te, NC
> (Please respond to the newsgroups.)

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

starting master db in single user mode

Post by J » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Thanks alot.

Where did you learn this?
I haven't seen that tip anywhere.

>When you go into the command line and start sql server with the -m ( or
>any or even no params), the log messages are returned to you at the
>command line.... When the messages stop, the server is up and
>running... and you are cool to begin your restore... It is not hung
>up... it is actually waiting for work to do... When you close the
>command line window, SQL will shut down...

>HTH

>> Hi,
>> I would like to restore the master database.  Is the only way to put
>it in
>> single mode is to do "sqlservr.exe -m" at the dos prompt? It seemed
>to be
>> taking a long time to start the server when it only takes seconds to
>do it
>> in the GUI.  Any ideas on this?  (It stopped giving any output and the
>> prompt just blinked for awhile but was not completed doing whatever
>it was
>> doing).

>> Thanks,
>> Allison

>--
>Wayne Snyder MCSE, MCDBA, MCT, SQL SERVER MVP
>IKON Education Services, C*te, NC
>(Please respond to the newsgroups.)

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
>Before you buy.

starting master db in single user mode

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

This is the way we used to start the old OS/2 version of SQL Server in an non-lanman
environment (on IBM OS/2).

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> Thanks alot.

> Where did you learn this?
> I haven't seen that tip anywhere.

> >When you go into the command line and start sql server with the -m ( or
> >any or even no params), the log messages are returned to you at the
> >command line.... When the messages stop, the server is up and
> >running... and you are cool to begin your restore... It is not hung
> >up... it is actually waiting for work to do... When you close the
> >command line window, SQL will shut down...

> >HTH

> >> Hi,
> >> I would like to restore the master database.  Is the only way to put
> >it in
> >> single mode is to do "sqlservr.exe -m" at the dos prompt? It seemed
> >to be
> >> taking a long time to start the server when it only takes seconds to
> >do it
> >> in the GUI.  Any ideas on this?  (It stopped giving any output and the
> >> prompt just blinked for awhile but was not completed doing whatever
> >it was
> >> doing).

> >> Thanks,
> >> Allison

> >--
> >Wayne Snyder MCSE, MCDBA, MCT, SQL SERVER MVP
> >IKON Education Services, C*te, NC
> >(Please respond to the newsgroups.)

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> >Before you buy.

1. Restoring master DB - How to get in Single user mode

Jason,

From BOL...

"How to start the default instance of SQL Server in single-user mode
(Command Prompt)
To start the default instance of SQL Server in single-user mode from a
command prompt

From a command prompt, enter:
sqlservr.exe -c -m

Note  You must switch to the appropriate directory (for the instance of
Microsoft? SQL ServerT you want to start) in the command window before
starting sqlservr.exe."

Dinesh.

2. Case sensitivity again

3. Cannot Set SQL 6.5, SP4 master DB to Single User Mode

4. Save calculated form result to table?

5. Changing Master DB to single user mode

6. HELP Updating many fields from the web

7. trying to restore master db, can't get to single user mode

8. Grid Help

9. When Single User Mode is not Single User Mode

10. command to disconnect db users so can switch to single user mode

11. Cannot load any database other than Master when server in single-user mode

12. Restoring Master in Single User Mode

13. Remotely starting in single-user mode?