Does 6.5 work on NT 4.0 Workstation?

Post by JohnMOU » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I know I have seen some posts about this in the past, but now I have occassion
to implement this, if possible.  I have found nothing regarding this
combination
in the MS KB.  I recall something about a "loopback" needed in Workstation.

Any info or references to MS documentation about this greatly appreciated.

TIA.

John

Does 6.5 work on NT 4.0 Workstation?

Post by Tony Rogerso » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Yes it does work on NT 4 Workstation, if you don't have any sort of network card, you need to install the MS Loopback adaptor

--
Hope the above helps,

Tony Rogerson
Torver Computer Consultants Ltd.

Does 6.5 work on NT 4.0 Workstation?

Post by Ron Rohrsse » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Officially MS states that SQL Server must be run on NT Server. I'm not aware of
the actual details of why SQL Server should be on a server.

I've used it successfully on NT Workstation for a couple of years now. I ONLY use
the SQL Server installation on my workstation for development work. So, I don't
feel as if I'm risking live data.

Again, I've done this for a couple of years and I've had no problem.

> I know I have seen some posts about this in the past, but now I have occassion
> to implement this, if possible.  I have found nothing regarding this
> combination
> in the MS KB.  I recall something about a "loopback" needed in Workstation.

> Any info or references to MS documentation about this greatly appreciated.

> TIA.

> John

1. SQL 6.5 Workstation Installation Problem on NT 4.0 Workstation

Software

NT Workstation 4.0     with no Service Pack applied.
SQL 6.5 Workstation   with no Service Pack applied.

MS loopback installed.
No network card.
Use dynamic IP via ras to ISP.

Problem

After installing SQL on the E: drive,
Enterprise Manager does not see the (local) server and
cannot connect to it.

Solution

I installed SQL on the C: drive instead of the E: drive.
It works just fine. How aggrevating!
Apparently, SQL Workstation  will only install properly
on the C: drive.
I will report bug to MS.

2. Creating Oracle accounts: usernames and passwords under Red Hat Linux 6.1

3. Installing Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Developer Edition On Windows NT Workstation 4.0 sp3

4. Sybase 4.9.2 to SQL Server 6.5

5. Problem installing SQLServer 6.5 Client on NT Workstation 4.0

6. Oracle DBAs and Developers needed in San Francisco, CA

7. Problem Installing SQL Server 6.5 on NT 4.0 Workstation SP3

8. @@identity crisis?

9. Installing SQL Server 6.5 under NT 4.0 Workstation

10. SOS : how install SQL Server 6.5 with NT Workstation 4.0

11. Problem installing SQLServer 6.5 Client on NT Workstation 4.0

12. MS SQL Server 6.5 and NT Workstation 4.0

13. Cannot normally install SQL Server 6.5 (workstation vrsion)on WinNT 4.0 Workstation